1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snoway v plow won't go up or v

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by outdoorimages, Dec 10, 2009.

1. outdoorimages

outdoorimages Junior Member
    from 52726

Really cold today in Iowa, V plow moved slowly dropped it and would not raise or go in wing position. Had to jack it up to get it off the ground and park it. Was wondering if anybody has ran into that before.
    Thanks

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

What model VEE?

What fluid is in it?

How long has it been since you changed the fluid?

Did the motor run?

3. outdoorimages

from 52726

Mega v blade. Brand new 2008. Put in snoway hydraulic oil, have not changed the oil since bought but added new to the old.
    Is that where I went wrong?

4. outdoorimages

from 52726

Sorry forgot to add the motor is running.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Take it to the dealer, that unit is under warranty, they should be able to resolve any issues you have.

You did add Snoway fluid,.....right?

6. outdoorimages

from 52726

I tried traking it to the dealer he told me maybe he can look at it Monday. We are supposed to have some more snow before Monday, so I was looking for any quick fix ideas.
    Did put snoway fluid in and ran great with it for awhile then I drove on the interstate for about a half hour and when I got where i was going tried to plow and the plow moved real slowly then didn't want to lift or angle.
    Thanks

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Check all your electrical connections. When you filled it did you put the fill cap back on? Could you have lost all your fluid during the drive?

8. outdoorimages

from 52726

Got the plow fixed. Had a small amount of moisture in the hydraulic fluid that caused it to freeze up. Put a heater on it and drained the lines and works great.
    Thanks for the input.

9. kramer56

kramer56 Senior Member

LOL omg I ran into the very same thing yesterday. went to dealer and took apart the releif valves and they had a MUD looking substance in them along with water. Mine was froze too. So why is there mud looking crap in there anyways has something failed internally or what is the deal with that? Their mechanic has never seen that in all his life. That fluid was changed last march when the new motor and cylinder was added for the supposedly called upgrades. My cap is always leaking fluid thru it, is that normal because if it leaks out isn't there a good chance water or moisture can get in. If so where is my new cap that I was supposed to get in the mail last year when i complained to Andy Mass for haveing to add 1 quart of fluid due to cap leaking. You watch my pump will crap out now and they will say its my fault that their cap leaks i have a feeling. Basher please tell me why the fluid looked like that. it looked like baby poop lol

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Lots of things can cause fluid contamination. dissimilar fluids, temperature, packing wear, moisture, normally it's found on filters rather then in the valves unless the orings in the valves themselves are dissolving. Would have nothing to do with the pump. You'd see metal if the pump was eating itself.

11. kramer56

kramer56 Senior Member

Oh so when the fluid that was packed with the plow (black container) was mixed with the fluid from the case pack (white container) this could happen. So how is moisture getting into a closed system that doesn't have any leaks except that friggin cap is the only place i ever see fluid.

12. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Kramer....the black "mud" stuff was the dirty vasoline Sno-Way was giving out with last years blades.....lmao

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

It's not a sealed system, that's why it can "leak" though the cap. It's a breather cap.

14. kramer56

kramer56 Senior Member

So your telling me that I will always have moisture in my system them. if it can get out then moisture can get in right? So is there any additives that I can use for moisture displacement for hydraulic fluid. My fisher never let water thru the cap and had it for 3 years. Somethings is not right. and yes moisture in the system will cause premature fluid failure correct? ahhh yes another way to suck money from our wallets by buying more and more Snoway plow fluid. I am still calling Andy tomorrow i am pissed. unless Basher you have a solution to calm me down lol. you always seem to

15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I did not say your issue IS moisture I merely stated it is one cause for fluid issues. If the fluid is constantly overflowing perhaps you should read the instructions for properly filling the unit. If it is fill in the improper configuration it will appear to be full when it is in fact over full.

16. kramer56

kramer56 Senior Member

I see but it is always about 1/2 to 3/4 below the fill line when the plow is in any position tho.

17. Hatch Ent

Hatch Ent Junior Member

I was going to say that your pump froze. Do you store it inside. Mine froze in this last blizzard we had. This is common. If you can park it inside and change the fluid it would help.

18. kramer56

kramer56 Senior Member

OK I talked to SW tech about the oil issue and he said they have had numerous complaints about it. He said the only exposed to outside elements is the breather cap which we all new where the water was entering. He said to take a something and cover the cap for now like a coffee can cut in half or something but not tight. I am like what?? they are working on a cover for these megas that we can buy to take care of the issue if we want to. I am whoa we already bought the pos and now we have to buy more because your cap is not working like it should. Whatever!!!!! Our caps allow pressure out and allow a vacuum to let in moisture and whatever else, HIS WORDS not mine lol. I said covering it isn't gonna stop the moisture from getting in there, its not rain water its condesation from the cold air hitting the warm oil as it enters from thru the cap.
    I told him about the Fisher cap recall awhile back was doing the same thing so he was interested in hearing that. I asked him to build a cap that acts like check valve. Lets pressure out then when pressure is reduced it closes tight so nothing gets sucked in. He actually thinks now thats a better idea than some stupid cover. I had to ask if these plows were for fair weather only he got real quiet lol. So we may be alittle closer to a resolution of this problem.

19. kramer56

kramer56 Senior Member

This s not common to freeze a plow up. They have a moisture entering problem. It needs to be addressed. And keeping it inside in the heat is actually worse for this problem due to fast vacuum it will have when the heat hits the sytem from plowing all day.

20. kramer56

kramer56 Senior Member

Update: ok yesterday I talked with a rep and a tech at SW. We all agreed there is a water problem entering the system, at this time their fix is a new cover that we can buy if we want to, yeah like anyone should have to pay for a recall item, but whatever. Well I am not convinced that a cover will fix the issue (again another bandaid without positive results imo), so how is a cover that is not sealed buy anyway going to keep moisture away from the breather cap. I asked them if their breather cap had a check ball in it to close when the system pressure drops to allow a positive shut-off from the outside elements. Their response: our cap has worked on all our other plows and no it only has a sponge material in it. OK so the smaller plows do not build the heat and the pressures as these mega series plows am I correct on that. Higher oil temps when cooling down will create more a vacuum to suck in cold air which then condenses and there is the water is your sytem. The rep told me that the Fisher team had the same problem on the MM1 series and they redesigned the cap and installed a check ball in it, recalled the caps and changed out everyones oil free of charge, today they are still useing that cap and now I am too on my MBV1. I went to my brothers garage and we changed out water and flushed the system then filled it back up only this time my plow left with a WESTERN breather cap that easily screwed into my resevoir tank. It has check in it. lol The tech was floored i think to think that this was being overlooked and a cover was the only thing brought up from the engineers. So at the table on monday we may be getting new caps and new fluyid change. These units are a newly designed beast but the pump/motor is the same as they been useing on lighter older units. Why didn't they use a new heavier duty pump on these things, I know they would have saved us and them a lot of headaches. According to a bucher tech that built these pumps they had another pump that was more powerful, simpler in design, and they decided to go with this one due to cost. Look how much we have spent going back and forth to dealer. Whatever big business always looks around the end users. Anyways keep the solutions that you guys make happen posted for us and maybe just maybe we will finally have a quailty product to use and DEPEND on.