1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SnoWay Tailgate Salter Advice

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by MarkG, Nov 30, 2008.

1. MarkG

MarkG Junior Member

This question is to the Snoway guys on the site. I have a 9 cf tailgate salter. Last time I went out salting the salt was sticking to the sides of the salter. When I asked a local dealer about getting the vibrator - I was basically told it would be a waste of Money. To me the waste of money is getting out every other minute shaking the salter back and forth to keep the flow of salt going through the chute. Can I get feedback from the Snoway guys and even guys who have the tailgate salter I have. It's approximately 2 years old and more like the 'V' shape model with the adjustable chute opening. Thanks... MarkG

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Dry material is the best thing to use. You can either wax or put a clear coat of paint inside the hopper to help too.

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Dry material is best, but a 80lbs vibrator is not going to be a bad thing to install if you are wanting to do bulk or wet material.

4. MR. McBEEVEE

MR. McBEEVEE Junior Member

I USE SNOWEX. WESTERN, AND BOSS TAILGATE SPREADERS. I SPREAD ONLY BULK SALT, SOMETIMES WET. WE USED TO HAVE A GUY RIDE IN THE BED TO CONSTANTLY SHAKE THE SPREADER, (a couple of snows) PURCHASED KARRIER 80 lb VIBRATORS FOR ALL SPREADERS AND IT SOLVED THE PROBLEM 100%. GOOD LUCK

5. MarkG

MarkG Junior Member

I'll be buying one this week. I went a few hours ago to get some salt down and I actually got fed up salting... I had to turn the wheel of my truck vigorously to help the salt. I am in the process of making a bin for the back of my truck to carry bulk salt. And it will be covered to keep it dry. I don't have enough work to have a drop in salter this year - probably next year. Thanks guys appreciated.