1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SnoWay replacement blade

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by CHURCHMOUSE, Jan 19, 2010.

1. CHURCHMOUSE

CHURCHMOUSE Junior Member
    from WI

I have a Sno-Way plow and recently broke the blade. When I removed it I see it is only 1/8" polycarbonate. I can buy a 4 x 8 sheet of polycarbonate for less than they want for a replacement blade from the dealer. Can I "beef" this blade up by using 3/16" polycarbonate instead of the 1/8". Will the 3/16" be flexible enough to form into the plow frame? It is a 24" x 7 1/2' insert for the blade.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated. :help:

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

you should be able to get it in there.

3. MrBigStuff

MrBigStuff Senior Member
    from Boston

It might be wise to make sure that any sheet poly you buy is either surface treated for UV exposure or co-extruded for weathering resistance. Plows spend a lot of time outdoors and the UV can degrade untreated plastics in a hurry. This might explain some of the cost difference.

Also, unless you are picking it up, shipping is going to be expensive on a full 4x8 sheet. Some places will cut it for you at little to no charge, assuming the cut size is small enough to allow using a cheaper standard service like UPS.

4. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

CHURCH, I have no idea on the polycabonite. My BIL had the same situation with their Sno-way at his work place years ago. He replaced it with UHMW almost 10 years ago with ggod results. I happen to have the same stuff on my own blade. Depending on were you are in WI, I can give you a link to a goods place to aquire it as well as a cost estimate.

5. Turbo X

Turbo X Junior Member

You have to use 1/8 , I went to my local glass shop and they had and cut the polycarbonate for me but they cut 3/16, instead of the 1/8 and I could not form it to my blade, I returned it and they cut me the right size. cost me $ 100 instead of the $240
    Sno-Way wanted..

6. CHURCHMOUSE

CHURCHMOUSE Junior Member
    from WI

ussmileyflagThnaks for the update. I ended up buying a whole sheet of "Lexan". I stuck with the 1/8" and it cost me about $140 for the 4' x 8' sheet. We cut it on a table saw and ended up with 2 blades for $100 less than 1 blade would cost from the shop. It seems to be working just fine so far ussmileyflagussmileyflag