1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SnoWay Plow Problem

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Al F, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Al F

Al F Junior Member
    from NH

My shop is closed so I thought until I can get help from them that this website is the very next best thing....i came home w my

26 Series - 26-7'-6" Snow Way plow in the up position but before dropping i noted it would no longer move left or rt w my wireless hand held....it did drop to the pavement on command....what i am getting upon pressing the up and the rt and left commands is a click noise in the plow motor area......i *think* i detect a slight elec burn type of smell but it is very faint.......prior to this i did note the pump motor did not shut off one time that same day earlier.....so i disconnected the power...then reconnected and it worked just fine the rest of the day

it is getting power and all fuses have been replaced w several new fuses just to disconnect this possibility...hydraulic fluid is fine

any thought? thank you

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

12volt motor soleniod or poor connections. Check the power plug.

3. Al F

Al F Junior Member
    from NH

Basher, thank you...you were right...fortunately my dealer who no longer sells SnoWay still had one solenoid on his shelf....32$ i replaced it and it worked right off....thank you for your kind help - AL

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

You can get heavy duty solenoids at an auto parts store to keep one on hand

5. Al F

Al F Junior Member
    from NH

thanks...i went w the spec one, but during this episode i did find out that other solenoids such as from Fisher and others would also work...all good to know

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Any properly rated twin pole solenoid will work, Trombetta's 114-1211-020 (nicknamed the "Bear) requires a little fiddling to install but is the best choice. Replace the existing one with a Trombetta and carry it (the existing one) as a spare you'll never need. With a 600amp 100% duty cycle it will lower amperage requirements as well as last much longer then the standard solenoid, at a cost of course.payup

7. Al F

Al F Junior Member
    from NH

thank you! good info