1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snoway plow dropd hard...

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by Juan, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Juan

Juan Junior Member
    from CT.

I just got a used in like new condition snoway snow plow and when I bring the plow down it goes down fast - it just drops hard on the pavement, I have used other plows like meyers that it slowly drops, very gentle but the snoway seems to just drop very quickly almost scary... is this normal? thanks.

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Yes it is normal for Snoways to drop fast. You can purchase a orifice kit from your snoway dealer to change the drop speed if you wish. First I would make sure the plow had the right fluid in it. just change the fluid and replace with Snoway fluid. then wait until you have a chance to use it in winter conditions. It will be slower at 30 deg. then at 50 deg.

3. Juan

Juan Junior Member
    from CT.

snoway plow drops hard...

Thanks - I just had it service by the local snoway dealer, they installed a new module and fluid plus they showed me how to mount it. Like you said I'm going to try it in the cold and see how it goes if not I will look into the orifice kit. thanks .

4. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

Might also check to be sure the downpressure itsn't on.

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I thought there was a flow control valve you can adjust for the fall speed?
    Take the cover off and look for it...
    It's been a few years seance i've owned a sno-way, I'm sure someone with the location of the adjustment valve will help out.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2006
  6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

There is not an adjustable valve built in the snoways. I personally think the idea of having a quill (hydraulic-ize for adjustable valve) is a good one but they must disagree. They (adj. valves) can be added but I personally am not fond of them. They work well enough when installed properly, but they are like exhaust systems. Guys throw a set of Flowmasters on and bend pipes out either side. When they're done, it looks good and makes more noise but less power. With-out a flow bench and a understanding of how to use it, or a dyno combined with massive trial and error, the local muffler shop has little chance of providing a system that provides performance equal to the factory exhaust. Hard plumbing the valve requires proper hydraulic fittings (Snoway uses o-rings in all their fittings) and routing the unit so there isn't any restriction to the fluid flow if you want to maintain factory performance in the raise and DP configurations. You also should get a shorter hose for the lift side of the lift ram, etc., by the time you do it right you could have bought and installed the factory orifice kit (which has different sizes so you can pick the one you prefer)
    My opinion for what it's worth, I like the factory speed. If you want a little softer impact change to Poly wearedge.

7. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

I don't really see the reason behind wanting the plow to drop slower. I know personally I'd like my plow to drop nice and fast. Helps get the stuck on snow off and helps get to the bottom.

8. Juan

Juan Junior Member
    from CT.

plow drops hard

Well - I just ordered the orifice kit from my local guy, the cost is $20 and it comes with 2 different settings - if you are not happy with the medium go for the large one to really slow things down. I will let you guys know how it goes once I get it next week!

9. addicted

addicted Senior Member

Did you use the kit this weekend? I thiyght i would need it too, but the cold weather seemed to slow the drop to a reasonable speed.

10. Juan

Juan Junior Member
    from CT.

plow drops hard....

Well I got the orifice kit, it consist of 2 very small screw on plugs with different hole sizes. I have not installed them yet because I have not had the time but I'm planning in doing so this weekend. I will report then.

11. Juan

Juan Junior Member
    from CT.

plow drops hard

I finally installed the orifice kit, it consist of two screw in plugs, one with a small hole and the other one with a medium size hole.
    [​IMG]
    The larger orifice plug is the one I removed from the plow notice the size compared to the new one.
    [​IMG]
    The orifice plug is located inside this plug located in the front passenger side of the plow - the entire install took about 10 min...
    [​IMG]

12. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

The question is, do you like the new fall rate?

13. Juan

Juan Junior Member
    from CT.

plow drops hard

YES!, I like it better, I was able to slow down the plow to my liking, the smaller of the 2 orifice plug would had slowed it to the point that I would have to stop the jeep and wait for the plow to slowly drop. Before the plow would just drop like nothing was holding it back now theres a noticeble difference.