1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snoway plow clicks and only works at random

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by coreyod21, Nov 27, 2012.

1. coreyod21

coreyod21 Member

Hello I have a snoway Mt 90 plow for my 97 silverado . I hooked it after buying used and it worked great. I replaced a angle cylinder because it was leaking. After replacing it everything worked great. Recently it has been having problems. The plow seems to freeze and clicks. Then it works a Lil only to freeze again. I checked the power connections and cleaned them with electric parts cleaner then used electric grease. What could my problem be? I'm new to plows

2. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

Check all of your grounds, as well as the solenoid.

3. coreyod21

coreyod21 Member

The only ground I know of is the on the battery it was lose but I tightened it and the problem still is here. the guy I bought the plow from said he had to replace the solenoid every year. it looks new. is that a dealer only part

4. nwilson1211

nwilson1211 Junior Member

I would start with the solenoid and go from there. They are cheap, easy to replace, and any auto part store will have it. Wouldn't hurt to have a spare with you in the truck anyway.

5. coreyod21

coreyod21 Member

Ok I'm going to give that a try when I get off work and I'll let you guys know thanks.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I would guess that is more controller than 12 volt motor solenoid.

7. coreyod21

coreyod21 Member

Why would you think that it's the controller. Is there anyway to test them because I heard they are expensive right?

8. nwilson1211

nwilson1211 Junior Member

If there are no clicks that means the contactors inside the solenoid are not making contact and therefore not providing power to the plow motor. In which case it is conceivable that the controller is not sending the signal, but the most common thing is the solenoid, which is why I suggested trying that first. They are cheap, and easy to replace. I have had new solenoids that are bad right out of the box, so keep that in mind. Also, if you are not getting any clicks, you can tap the solenoid with a screwdriver handle and sometimes that will free them up temporarily. If that makes it work, you will still need the solenoid, but its a simple test. Good luck!

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

wired or wireless?

10. coreyod21

coreyod21 Member

Hey guys thanks for all the advice and help. Finally figured it out. The main power connector was filled with gunk and old packed grease. I was able to clean it up and it works great. The only problem I'm having now is the plow doesn't seem to be raised enough. When the blade is straight and off the ground I measured is max height is only 8 and half inches. Is thus normal because it scrapes every apron when its all the way raised. It also drops quick on its own

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

How much play is in the lift linkage?

12. coreyod21

coreyod21 Member

Where exactly is the lift linkage? isn't that where the middle cylinder mounts? I don't see any play on the front but in the back closer to the truck there seemed to be play because it looks like the bolt is smaller than the mount. Then again I'm not even sure how to check linkage there

13. coreyod21

coreyod21 Member

What's the average height of these plows ?

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Send me an email snowtech@ basherandson.com I'll send you manuals. They're PDF so I can't post them here.