1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snoway or Boss

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jbvictory, Jan 22, 2011.

1. jbvictory

jbvictory Junior Member

Hey all, I am looking at buying a new plow and would love some experienced in-put. I am looking at the Boss power v xt poly and the snoway 29R. They are somewhat different styles and so I would love to hear some opinions on advantages or disadvantages of both. I will be putting the plow on a 2007 Chevy 2500 with the Vortec 6.0 (it has a two inch leveling kit). Most of my plowing will be medium sized commecial, but I would like the abilty to do large commercial with it if I got the right contract. I am leaning towards the snoway. I just think it is the sweetest design out for a plow, but I also like the idea of Boss' proven track record. Thanks for your time.
  2. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Depends on your dealer really. I think SnoWay has some really innovative ideas but are full of BS at the same time. Boss has the V design down pat, and will move just as much if not more snow if you wing the plow.
  3. ken643

ken643 Senior Member

I have had Meyers (didnt like it) western, Great plow, But I now have a Fisher and find it fantastic!! Give Fisher a Look
  4. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

You'd have to be drunk or stoned to buy a Snoway... The boss makes a superb plow, I learnt the hard way with Snoway and I now own a Boss VXT...
  5. jbvictory

jbvictory Junior Member

Well I dont drink or smoke......but just out of curiosity, could you give me some of the specific problems you had with your snoway, and also which model. Thanks!
  6. jbvictory

jbvictory Junior Member

Yeah I was wondering about the cubic yard claims of snoway on their youtube clip for the 29r. The price difference is a matter of a hundred dollars or so, (if you wing the boss).
    6700.00 snoway 29r (not installed)
    6795.00 boss poly power v xt (not installed) (8'2" with wings)

I was also wondering if the boss hydraulics that lift the plow up and down will produce the same effect as the snoway "down pressure" hydraulics. It seems like it would.
  7. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

It was a Rev and I shouldnt really talk much about it on here anymore... The Boss dosnet have downpressure but the snoway isnt all that much to make a differance IMO either...
  8. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

Just a heads up I recieved my local boss dealers price sheet and a POLY VXT uninstalled with smartlocks, truck wiring/brackets and controller is $5750, steel is : $5450

I would go with the boss.... wesport
  9. pvtben121

pvtben121 Senior Member

sno way name says it all no way
  10. jbvictory

jbvictory Junior Member

Thanks, I hope to have the cash in hand and will definitely be hoping to get it for the above price or less. Do you have an opinion as to wether to go with poly or steel
  11. as81808

as81808 Junior Member
    from NJ

im a western and fisher fan but know alot of ppl with the boss and its a great plow.
  12. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

Well I have owned both sno way and boss. Even though I am not a fan of boss plows (mainly because of my dealer) I would buy a boss over a sno way 10 to 1. The sno ways are cheap and I had numerous problems out of the three I owned. Solenoids to poly breaking on nothing to frames breaking. They have there place but I wouldn't own one for commercial plowing. Imo I love poly. Snow has a harder time sticking to it and less metal to rust. They all have pros and cons. I went with a hiniker v this fall. It is poly and has a trip edge which I am very impressed with. Just do some research and buy what makes you feel the most confident. I'm not one to push one brand over another as they all have problems but I would definitely think twice about a sno way!
  13. jbvictory

jbvictory Junior Member

Thanks to all for the help, I think you have changed my mind. Boss poly power v xt seems the way to go. now to come up with the two grand that im short to make the purchase....better snow tonight lol
  14. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

No, the Boss does not have down pressure even with the direct lift, but I have noticed that it scrapes better than my old chain lift plow.
  15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I notice not one respondent has used a 29R. Go to the Snoway owners group and look at what people that own them say.

My 29R scrapes better then any Vee I've ever run. It is faster and preforms admirably as a straight blade, far better then any Vee I've run, Including Boss and Snoway

It stacks better and controls snow load far better. different

As for the neigh-sayers of the 29R

Is totally different plow then the Revo, designed wing, lift system assembly, mounting system, etc

Is steel skinned no poly

I have numerous customers running these units with-out issue. One is considering removing Western ultra mounts from his other three trucks and replacing them with 29Rs
  16. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

$5150 is the price for a standard power V in Steel, they nolonger make the standard power V in poly. Those prices I posted above are both VXT blades one poly and one steel.
  17. supercuts

supercuts Senior Member

ive run meyer for years, nothing but problems and i kept going back to them because i new how to fix them and wanted to keep things interchangable. well....i had enough and got a boss vxt this year and pulled my 2 year old meyer off. I love it so far, very fast, works good. the only thing i dont like is the plug, mine doesnt fit very tight and if snow falls back on it, it loosens up.

dont know about sno ways at all so cant comment on them
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  18. brad2555

brad2555 Junior Member
    from ohio

I had a sno-way like a 04 model, it was a good plow, 29 series with stainless insert, and took alot of abuse, traded it in 2009 for a snowdogg 8-2 v total crap, wish i had the snoway back, but im trading for a boss this spring you can bet on that!!
  19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Take most of the comments on here with a grain of salt. Many are from folks who have used only one example of one version of plow from one manufacturer. For every nay there are ten yeas. And vice-versa. Any mass produced product is subject to quality control issues, manufacturing defects, and occasionally design flaws. The key is to find a dealer/support network with a proven track record of good service and a customer first attitude. On hand inventory of repair parts is a good indicator of a shops commitment to service.

Ultimately, you need to do your homework. Look the choices over carefully. Get demos, even ask to try one out during a storm. Take advice and comments from those you trust. And don't forget, just because "Everyone else has one", doesn't mean it's the best choice for you.
  20. D&E

D&E Senior Member

Great advice. Dealer support is number one above all else. My local Boss dealer is open 24/7 during storms and the guys there are the best. It sure is nice to be able to roll in at 4AM when a line breaks (not that it ever has, but I'm sure it would be nice) and get it fixed right then and there. They also sell and service all of my Scag mowing equipment in the summer, so going with them was a no-brainer.

I don't really have any experience with SnoWay products, but I sure don't see many of them around here. I figure that has to mean something. 2 of the guys I work with have Boss VXT's and they are simply amazing machines. Stone reliable and very efficient.

Like I said, though, I don't have ANY experience with SnoWay, so I can't say much. Talk to your local dealers. That is the most important part.