1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snoway Opta-flow Spreader

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by millsaps118, Jan 24, 2008.

1. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

I'm considering buying this spreader. I have little history about this unit since the new owner is a used car dealership who got a truck with a plow and this spreader on a trade. The dealer-ship has no idea what this unit is worth and told me to make an offer on it, the sales guy I talked to said more than likely if my offer is reasonable they'll sell it.

They have the control box and the spreader unit, what else is needed? The control box plugs into the cig. lighter plug. I had a Buyers spreader that was hard wired, so is this normal for this unit to use a 12v plug? The spreader is about a 6 cu.ft. hoper, I'm guessing it can hold 350-450lbs. Unit is in pretty good shape, very little rust. I only seen 1 pic of it and plan on going to look at it tomorrow.

What's it worth? And will I need to buy a harness to go from the controller to the spreader, or can I just make one????

2. millsaps118

Here's a pic they sent me.

Attached Files:

3. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

All hardware, motor plate, spinner shaft, and spinner are stainless steel on this unit. We no longer produce this model for the truck market due to most customers preferring hitch mounted spreaders.

4. millsaps118

toby4492--So is this unit considered a bumper/fixed mount? Does it require drilling holes in the box or bumper to mount the brackets, and is this something that is easily removable? I assume not, so would it be feasible to customize this to accept a receiver hitch mount?

Do you have a part# for the controller that would be original to this unit?

thanx--Keith

5. toby4492

Keith,

This unit was similar to other designs in that the hopper is mounted to a swing gate. So to answer your question yes there would be some drilling to install the mounting brackets. Once installed the hopper unit can be removed and the mounting brackets would stay on the vehicle. The first link below will take you to an owners manual for reference, and the second to a parts manual.

http://www.snoway.com/service/Owner Manuals/97100415D.pdf

http://www.snoway.com/service/Parts Manuals/97100451e.pdf

6. millsaps118

Tom, thanx for the links...very, very, helpfull!!!!!

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Do they still have the truck? you could maybe get the harness of the truck. Unless SW has changed and i missed it they don't list the harness as a service part, you have to buy control and harness. Toby4492 would know

If your control is a karrier, run it instead of popping for a new OEM control. Nothing wrong with the SW OEM unit but the Karrier is every bit it's equal.

check the brand of the controller. you can have Bob Church at karrier build you a harness to match. Nice thing about Bob you can mix and match.

I sold a Used Optia-flow with swing gate, control, vibrator and harness in good working condition for $850 plus install labor and hardware.

These are quality units, they can be modified to hitch mount but they need more then just a ball mount. I'd recommend something that sits on the bumper for support.

I have a optia flow swing mount NOS, I'm not sure the hardware's there but that's easy.

8. millsaps118

Yep...they still have the truck. I was gonna check it out and see if I can pull the harness if it's still there. I want to mod it so I can slide it in the receiver, then make some support brackets to rest on the top of the bumper. I'm sure I'll also have to support it with some straps to hold it in place.

I going to look at it tomorrow or Saturday. I'll up date later.

9. ohchit

ohchit Junior Member

We had a snoway tailgate spreader just like that had being the key word. You had to have 2 guys to run it 1 to drive another to shove a stick in the spreader so the bagged dry salt would fall to the spinner. And you will need to replace the motor every year it sits on the spreader out in the open so the salt goes right in it. If the motor was sealed it would have been better.

10. millsaps118

Tom, I ended up buying the spreader. I had to take all the truck side mounting brackets off which wasn't a big deal, only had to grind off 2 rusty bolts, all the rest came off no prob. Inside the hopper is spotless and I pulled the cover off to check the belt and drive pulley. everything looked good, belt looks bran new. I might have to replace the top and bottom bearing though, it looked like it didn't get greased. I was able to power it up and run it, and it ran fine. Shaft and spinner all seemed straight and ran really smooth.

This unit is a swing gate but is missing the bottom pivot brackets that sit on top of the bumper. Other than that, every thing else is there. It does have the original controller but what the previous owner did was, instead of hard wiring he spliced a 12V plug to it and ran it off the cig lighter. Is this going to be OK? Another thing I didn't get was the truck side harness, It was there, and I could have taken it but I didn't know exactly how the previous owner wired it. I didn't want to open up a can of worms and clip something I wasn't suppose to since this truck was on the lot for sale.

Here's some pic's. Still sitting in the back of my truck, I got home late and had no one to help me lift it out. The dealer started out at $875, then listed it on craigslist for $495, I gave him $400 for it. I think I got a pretty gooood deal on this.

contrlcrop optaflo.jpg

crop.jpg

optaflocrop.jpg

spinner.jpg

11. toby4492

Keith,

I would agree sounds as if you got a great deal here. Back when we produced these they retailed for around $1500-$1600. With all the stainless components they last along time. Just need the harness and circuit breaker and you should be good to go.

12. millsaps118

What did you think about the wiring on the controler? Should I hard wire it or will it run as is? I found a harness surfing for $144, this sound right?

13. toby4492

If it were mine I would hardwire it.

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Trouble free is the name of the game. The equipment sits and waits then has to perform flawlessly. I'd hard wire it. those units are designed operate on up to 30 amps, what's your power jack rated at?

Go with the real thing.

15. millsaps118

The manual says 15amp Max, unless I read it wrong. I'll end up hardwiring it anyway. I don't like doing things half azz.:drinkup:

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I'm not familiar with the Snoway controllers but if the wires with the cig plug are the power wires, and not just the ground and 12V for the controller box itself, DO NOT plug them into your power plug...it wont take 30 amps. Well it will, but not for long.

17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You can pick a control signial (15amp) at the power jack, but the power feed needs to be from a heavier source. The unit can draw up to 30 amps in good working condition. Note the 40 amp circuit breaker.

You can leave the unit's control power on the power jack and unplug the unit to remove when not in use but you have to hard wire the power line.

18. millsaps118

OK...thats what I thought. I'm just going to wire it the way it's suppose to be wired per SW manual.

Now I just need to find a new harness (truck side) with the 40amp breaker. I found one on www.buysnowplowparts.com but it doesn't say exactly say what it comes with. I'll have to call 'em.