1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snoway on an 09 H3t Alpha (V8?) Colorado setup?

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by CarCrazed4Life, Dec 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CarCrazed4Life

CarCrazed4Life Senior Member

I stopped by the Hummer dealer because I heard they are offering some pretty crazy prices on their new H3t trucks. I don't need a full size truck, so the H3t would replace my Dakota well. Especially since it has the 5.3V8.

That said, I can find an almost 40k truck for $28k. I think I might be able to negotaite even more then what they already started negotiating with...

But that means I'd sell my setup as is, and consider buying a Snoway 26 7'6" for the truck. Has anyone tried plowing with one yet? With the off-road package, it seemed like a pretty beefy small truck.

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Sorry Charlie (I just had to say that LOL) Not a good choice for a plow truck. Nobody is supporting an install on the H3. Not enough front axle capacity. The truck is built on the Colorado frame and suspension. Search the site they have discussed this a couple times I think.

3. 4x4North

4x4North Member

Here are FACTS:
    The H3 sits on it's own unique frame, it does NOT sit on the Colorado frame.
    The suspension is NOT shared with the Colorado.

The front axle rating for the H3 and H3T are 3050 lbs.

People have put plows on their H3 with some custom fab work, reds garage has pictures of plows they've put on H3's.

http://imageevent.com/redsgarage/bosssnowplows;jsessionid=z2ygm891o3.buffalo_s

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

OK the axles are rated at 3050 lbs, how much weight are they carrying out of the factory?

People have put plows on cars but that doesn't mean it's a good idea or that any factory is going to participate. The main point stands, there is not enough front axles capacity to install a plow on a H3 and remain with-in the federal guidelines. Search the manufacturers websites, no one offers hummer mounts, they can not get them though the approval possess.

I read an article about a man who fell thousands of feet from an airplane with out a chute and survived, are you going to jump out of an airplane with out a parachute and expect to live?
    To paraphrase everybody's mother " just because Red's voided warranties and ignored federal guidelines doesn't mean it's right"

5. CarCrazed4Life

I saw the higher then expected 3050 for the FGVWR on the H3T. I didn't realize how much weight the front is already carrying that is why I asked the question. Basher was correct in stating that the H3T and the H3 have similar FGVWRs so my thought that the H3T had more capacity then the regular H3 is incorrect. Thats why I asked the Question to begin with.

Besides, I've moved on to a new love affair. Trying to see if the Jeep J8 ever makes it here in civilian form :)

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

:redbounce:redbounce yeah yeah yeah, we'll figure out a way to make that work if you get one. You'll have to fight with Joe in the shop for the first one though:D

7. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

The colorado will hold a suburbanite so why wouldn't the H3T. Just a question, I tried to look up the axle rating on a colorado but couldn't find one.

8. CarCrazed4Life

Well they could use the 3.0l Diesel that matches upto the same 5sp auto that is already certified in the Grand Cherokee, or maybe the Sprinter diesel :) We can all Dream can't we.

and a Snoway 22, both of which are residential plows...

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  9. 4x4North

4x4North Member

The GAWR of a Colorado 4x4 is 2700lbs.

10. 4x4North

4x4North Member

According to SnoWay, the Colorado can hold a Sno-Way ST-7'6"

11. 4x4North

4x4North Member

Are you sure it's about federal guidelines or more do with the lack of interest? The H3 and H3T are not a big market, and components are not interchangeable with anything they've previously made.

If a Colorado has been fitted with a max GAWR of 2700lbs, then I'm sure an H3/T with a GAWR of 3050lbs would be fine.

12. CarCrazed4Life

So with the upgraded V8, tranny, diff, suspension, body work, etc... your saying the Front of the H3t doesn't way 350#s more then a regular Colorado 4x4?

The 22 is a newer version of the ST. I use to have the ST 7'6" blade, and although not a true commercial plow, it did well. That said, the ability to put an MT or 26" Blade on a V8 Dakota is what made me pick the dakota as my plow truck. I liked the H3T just for that reason. Fitting a 500# plow is not doable on a H3t like it is on my Dakota. I could move to a Regular Size truck, but I'm looking for Bull Size bite with Compact Size Vehicles.

That said, the bed seems to have a huge payload, something that would rival some regular sized trucks!

13. 4x4North

4x4North Member

I don't know how much weight is on the front end of an H3T vs. how much is on the front end of the Colorado.

I'm not even 100% sure that the GAWR is 3050 on the H3T, might be more, I'm getting different results from different sources.

When I get the correct weight rating I'll post it up.

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Well you'd be wrong. Plow manufacturers build mounts for Commanders, Liberty's, 4 Runners and many other low volume vehicles so it's not a numbers thing. Particularly since it's easy to mount a plow on the HT, it just doesn't have the FAGWR to carry much more then passengers (and a soccer ball or two)

the H3 (most weight capable of the 3 models) has a excess load capacity of around 1100 lbs, that has to include passengers, gear, exctera. It's towing capacity is only 3000lbs (less with the manual) minus the weight of passengers and cargo. Unless someone takes the time to find the tare weight on the front axle I can not tell you exactly how much excess capacity it (the front axle) has but it's not much. Particularly after you drop a driver in the "truck." The situation deteriorates when you add the weight of the V8. Then there is the fact that the "experts" feel the front axle is inadiquite to begin with. Most of the Hummer forums site refer to it as the ultimate soccer mom vehicle.

I'm sure you can get a hell of a deal on one though, the latest sales figures show Hummer sales are down 86%. The local Hummer dealer is shutting down their independent dealership and selling the building. Be interesting to see where the Hummer line goes after ownership moves to India/China.

15. 4x4North

4x4North Member

All this coming from the guy who claimed the H3 was built on a Colorado frame, so I hope nobody takes a word of anything you say seriously. :nod:

Since you've taken the liberty to go well beyond simply talking plows and actually knocking the vehicle down completely, I'll shoot right back (but with FACTS, that's something you don't have) :gunsfiring:

It's funny you should list those, each one of those vehicles has a lower excess front axle weight when you subtract the front GAWR rating to their divided Curb Weight (which is the best estimate you can get to without actually knowing the actual weight on the front axles)

Also, compared to HUMMER's, those are hardly what I would call "low volume" vehicles.

As for carrying Soccer balls (cheap insult BTW, but I expect that from someone who's taking big wild guesses instead of working with FACTS): There are H3 owners that have added well over 650lbs with full front and rear bumper replacements, full roof rack, rock rails, ladders, brush guard, etc. That doesn't inlude any extra gear either. ALL WITHIN WARRANTY...

Wrong, 1306lbs. That's right there or better than any of the trucks you've listed and is the norm for this class.

Again, wrong. 4500lbs with the 3.7, 6000lbs with the V8.

This has to be the funniest quote from you yet, I am a member on all the major HUMMER forums, and these people wheel their H1's, H2's, and H3's HARD. There is absolutely no such reference. You're trying a little too hard to knock down one of the best stock offroad vehicles there is, but look who I'm arguing with. You probably heard one of the H1 owners who's pissed that AM General stopped building the H1 :D

Here are some more FACTS for you...

Since it's production debut, the H3 has won year after year after year in Baja and other desert races. Offroad racing legend Rod Hall considers it the BEST truck he's ever raced, and these are full stock trucks with the only modifications done to them are added roll cage, Fox shocks and other race regulatory necessities (no windows, fuel cell). HUMMER is one of the only brands that were actually making modification to the production line from things learned during the races.

Here, some videos you might enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvPE0IFA1mA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc2B-qIKhgI

And here are some stock H3's doing a pre-run

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2tGU5jYkZU

The H3 won Four Wheeler Magazine's Four Wheeler of the year in '08, and the H3T won Four Wheelers Pickup of the year...

Not bad eh? Especially for "the ultimate soccer mom vehicle"... So... what has your truck "accomplished"?

Now, back to plow talk, I never said you could put a heavy duty plow on it, it's not designed for that and there are better suited vehicles designed for that purpose, but people have put plows on them with no issues.

16. CarCrazed4Life

Obivoulsy we can tell your a die hard Hummer Fan. Don't get me wrong, I like them too. But this is what you find when you search the web about the H3:

http://www.netcarshow.com/hummer/2006-h3/

They always come back to mention they use the GMT345 which underpins the Canyon and Colorado Trucks. So thats why you'll get the comments it uses a Colorado Frame. Cause the Colorado came out before the H3. Kind of like the H2 uses the Tahoe Frame, etc. Are they modified, yes, but the roots are the same.

I like the H3, but as it stats, simply taking the GVWR and subtracting vehicle rate doesn't mean anything. Unless you go to a scale, and measure your weigh over the front and rear wheels, and then look at the Front and Rear GVWR... its all pointless. Seeing that the bed has a huge payload doesn't mean the front does.

[​IMG]

According to the above, that means a Honda Ridgeline has a higher payload then a Hummer H3t and it too should be able to hold a plow...

The fact is a FGVWR with a Front Axle Weight are the two important things needed to figure if it can hold a plow, and then you look at the full payload. Not payload first and then divide the weight front and rear equally.

Now, is the Hummer H3t a capable truck, yes. Are most Hummers capable off roaders, yes. But the fact is it ain't a great plow vehicle. If it were, I'd swapped out my Dakota V8 for a Hummer H3t already :)

17. 4x4North

4x4North Member

If I search the web for any vehicle, I'll get over-generalized information aswell, doesn't mean it's accurate. On that site you linked, they state that it shares "many" components with it's siblings, which is untrue. The fact is that it only shares 10% with the Colorado.

If you search this site, you'll find a few of my posts with complete detailed engineering data of the precise differences in the frame. Here's a link:

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=73103&page=3
    Scroll down and you'll see them...

Trust me, I meet people everyday who *think* they know the facts, but they haven't bothered to go beyond to get the real facts. I'm glad to elaborate and share everything I know.

The Colorado is actually built on the GMT355 platform, the 345 is the H3's platform. People far too often confuse "Platform" for "Frame". Besides, in these cases, "modified" is far too general. If you look at the engineering pics of the frame comparisons, you'll see that only a few items were modified, two crossmembers and a few body mounts are directly shared, and that the majority are brand new stampings.

Same with the H2, people who don't understand much about what went behind the scenes during the engineering of these trucks will say it's built on a Tahoe, I just ask them to compare the frames and see the differences. In reality, I know they won't bother, and they'll continue to say it's built on the Tahoe... their loss.

I'm actually dividing the Curb Weight (not GVWR) then subracting the GAWR to get a rough estimate. It's nothing I would depend on, but it's the closest you can get without actually weighing in. I'm trying to get accurate data on how much excess weight the front has, two sources each give me different #'s for the FGAWR, so I'm looking into it.

18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Excuse me for trusting the GM site for my info on weights and capacities.

And I guess the guys on the Hummer forums I have searched have a different attitude then the one you hang out on.

Facts still stand you can not put a plow on a hummer and meet the guidelines. If you could the manufacturers would do it.

Enjoy your toy it will be a classic collectible soon. They will be parked next to Oldsmobile.

19. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Save your breath Basher. If you gave him 2 cents for his thoughts you would get change back.
    You have sold, installed and serviced more plows and worked on more vehicles then he will ever see. Your thoughts and opinions are ALOT more valuable.

20. 4x4North

4x4North Member

His words speak for themselves. I would expect someone with so much experience to actually bother reading up on the facts in the first place before replying with mis-information.

The problem isn't that he mentioned the H3/T wouldn't be a good match for a plow, it's all the other BS that he posted that needed to be corrected :)

I do appreciate your kind words, though. Remember, getting your facts correct is vital to being accurate with your "advice".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.