1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snoway issues

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by TPVILL, Jan 23, 2016.

1. TPVILL

TPVILL Junior Member

I was on this forum a few years back. I believe Basher attempted to help me. I am still having the same issue but worse now. I am on my second snoway and have had little problems with the exception of this. I currently have a snoway 29 series 8' blade with DP. I have good left and right movement but my blade up command has come to a snails pace. I have spoken with a few local guys with this equipment and they all say the same things about it. Great Plow EXCEPT we all seem to have to replace the relay (solenoid) every other season or so. I just carry a spare in my truck these days because of this issue. And the up motion seems to get slower and slower each season. I'm going on 8 years with this one so we are talking granny speed now. It was suggested to me that I needed to drain, flush, and replace fluid. While doing this make sure to take loose all the hoses and clean out the screens located in the hose connections. I did all that and the screens seemed to be squeaky clean. Even so I did all of the above. well we still have the same issue. It really seems to drag down all of my lights as well now. Any suggestions? Seems like a lot of folks with the same issue.

2. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

What's your amp draw? Sounds like bad motor. I go thru 1 a year seams like. But my plow never stoops moving

3. TPVILL

TPVILL Junior Member

I originally thought the motor might be getting weak but it was suggested to me that, that doesn't usually cause this. I'm not sure of the AMP draw but the whole electrical system seems to drag worse every time I use it. About how much a new motor run ya? Might be worth a try if it's not exhorbinate.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

what fluid do you use?

When you changed the fluid did you pull the reservoir, clean it and the pickup/return screens inside?

if the motor's cooked you should smell it.

5. snowman55

Basher has a good point , but I would think side to side would be slow if it was flow restriction.

Motor should draw less than 175 amps. Over 200 deffinantly a problem.

I have made a western motor work $100 and it's bigger.

6. TPVILL

TPVILL Junior Member

Basher, I did clean the pickup and return screens when I changed the fluid and removed the reservoir. I didn't smell anything that smelled burnt and the fluid I took out looked clean. not milky or anything and smelled like regular hydraulic fluid does.

I just ordered a heavy duty replacement pump for a buck and a quarter. worth a try I think. I've done most everything else. Wouldn't a bad pump and not a bad motor have an effect on the smell of the fluid?

I appreciate both of you guys input. Now I wait for a few days and see.

7. snowman55

Reason I think motor is the dimming lights. Can you test amp draw?

Draw will tell all if under 175 I would next chase valves.are they opening all the way? Relief set too low? Rarely have I had to replace a pump. Can you test pressure when you lift plow vs side to side?

Basher knows his stuff. Think he ment you could smell burnt elect when you run motor. Not always my expierience..

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I can normally smell a burnt motor when the pump cover comes off but you certainly will if you loosen the mounting bolt.

other issues could be a failing pump (requires much less power to angle then raise) bad pressure relief valve leaking pressure, bad check valve leaking pressure.

If the motors good and the fluids clean does the unit sounds like it is straining when you try to raise? If so pump restriction, if not probably leaking pressure internally somewhere.

9. TPVILL

TPVILL Junior Member

Hey guys,
    Thanks for the help. Gave me a direction to go in. The new pump arrived the other day and on sunday my daughter helped me change it out. Damned thing works better now that it has in 10 years. solved the up issue and left and right are faster too. I hope I can get more mileage out of the solenoids now too.Hope I get another 4 or 5 years out of it so I can get a V model.