1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snoway hydrulic fluid

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Big Nate's Plowing, Jan 11, 2001.

1. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

is there a certin type of hydro fluid in the snoway system, my buddy said to use fisher fluid because he hasnt had a problem using it, i just want to change the fluid as a prevenitive maintnence thanks for the replies in advance
  2. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Sno-Way has some special, low temp fluid that they use. VERY expensive! I use synthetic ATF in all three of our Sno-Way power units. Might be a bit slow for the first few minutes but after that it works fine.

[Edited by plowking35 on 01-14-2001 at 08:54 AM]
  3. 9FT.PILES

9FT.PILES Banned

meyer has fluid w/ anti freeze

pick up a qt. today,youll love it , smooth!

[Edited by plowking35 on 01-14-2001 at 08:55 AM]
  4. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Moderators,, please help!

In my last post in this thread I got a typo in there and missed it when I proofread. Just realized it and the time limit is WAY expired for me to edit it. Could one of you fellows change that "ATC" to read "ATF"? Thanks a bunch.
  5. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

I was told to "ABSOLUTELY DO NOT USE ATF" in my SnoWay. They are meant to use type 5606 hydraulic fluid. I picked up an extra quart from our local dealer for about $7.

The fluid for SnoWay's is clear, as opposed to ATF which is red. Maybe on some of the other (or older) models, ATF is used or "okay" to use, but I was told not to on mine. I would check with SnoWay if you're unsure.

6. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

ATF in Sno-Way

Yeah,, they told me the same thing. I used their stuff until the warranty ran out, then I switched to ATF. Not regular ATF,, Amsoil Synthetic ATF, which seems to work just fine. They use a Fenner hydraulic unit, same as is used on power tailgates and other 12V hydraulic packs. ATF seems to work in all those, so why not on the plow as well.
  7. Big Nate's Plowing

thanks for all the replies!, i have the amsoil atf in my trucks, sence the plow that came with my truck is well out of warranty i will just use that, thanks again, nate
  8. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

I just picked up some today for $6.60 / qt. Synthetic ATF would only be a dollar less.

9. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

hubjeep that post is a little old. :D
  10. Big Nate's Plowing

a little?:sleeping: :drinkup:

3 years, lol I sold that plow a long time ago
  11. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

I changed the fluid in mine today. What a job. After all that, I would not use anything but the Sno-way fluid.

(I had to do some things twice since I forgot to put the damn magnet back in the housing after cleaning it out) :realmad:

The fluid that came out looked green :eek:

BTW, after removing the hoses from the left/right cylinders I used a come-along to angle the plow back and forth to get all the fluid out.

-John :cool:
  12. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I'm not going to have to change the fluid in my Snoway since it has been sitting in the garage all year with little use.......

13. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

The Snoway dealer in my area sells the Blue plow fluid. Not sure what it is named, but if comes in a blue bottle and it is blue. I also changed my fluid last fall and the snoway fluid does come out green, and it was a major pain in the ass to change. Good Luck.
  14. tacraven

tacraven Junior Member

I had hydraulics on a 83 Chevy Monte Carlo. It had nine switches. Hop hop. I bought a used snoway plow and to my suprise the snoway also uses a Fenner pump system. I still have some of the heavy duty motors that I never had a chance to install. Sold car during college years.

I used to go in with my friends and buy a 5 gallon bucket of hydraulic fluid. It always worked great, even in the winter. I just bought a 5 gallon bucket at Sam's Club ($14.50) and will be able to change the fluid twice a year for cheap.

The only problems I ever had with the Fenner pumps were seals blowing out (rarely). There are two attached to the main block. One large and one small joinming the pump from the block. I found them easily at Home Depot, advised by the installers. Motors lasted many months and would eventually die due to the small magnets wearing thin around the end furthest from the pump.

It's too bad snoway does not use aluminum blocks, they transfer heat much better.
  15. mylawn03

mylawn03 Senior Member

I've put Boss Hyd. fluid in my Sno-Way for 2 seasons now.... No problems yet.
  16. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

More than likely any ATF or hydraulic fluid would work in a Sno-way plow.

But <$14 for two quarts is not asking too much to use the "OE" fluid.

-John :cool:
  17. mylawn03

mylawn03 Senior Member

Good Point! :waving:
  18. tacraven

tacraven Junior Member

I just used half of the 5 gallon bucket to flush the entire system, including the cylinders. The snoway plow I bought used was a few years old with the origional green fluid. :alien:
  19. tacraven

tacraven Junior Member

20. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member