1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snoway HT plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Switchless, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Switchless

Switchless Member
    from NJ

I really like my older snoway plow which is only 400lb. Since I'm new at plowing, residential only, I realize backdragging is very important for me. With that in mind I also realize my 400lb, even with down pressure ain't quite as nice as an 800lb plow.
    So, I'm wondering how many guy's are using something like the Snoway HT at 500lb with it's 300/400lbs. of down pressure.
    thanks,
    Pete

2. Toby

Toby Senior Member
    from NY

If all you're doing is backdragging res. why in God's Name don't you have a backplow?

You couldn't be competative in our market w/just a front plow.

3. Switchless

Switchless Member
    from NJ

I could see that, but I'm not only backdragging, and something that long with a front plow is just too much for our small streets. At the moment, that Hinker plow that folds is the ticket, in my opinion. However, it's too heavy and too complicated. I'm sure a nice heavy plow would be fine for me, but I'd like to get the advantage of a heavy plow without all that weight on the front end.
    DP

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

If it's that big issue just shift gears and push forward and lift before you reach the end. Drop the plow and back drag again.
    You are never going to back drag as good as push. I got a 4 springer with all kinds of weight and it still skims over the snow.
    All the down force and back drag edges will never change this fact. Been there, done it, don't sweat it. you can do what you can do, the plow ani't magic.

5. Toby

Toby Senior Member
    from NY

If you can navigate that Monstrosity you Use for hauling mowers around your streets, there should be no difficulty w/ the added length of a backplow.

There is no faster way to plow a garage fronted driveway than using both a rear-front plow combination. The driveway will always be cleaner & your times will, in most cases, be cut in half.

If even half your drives need to be backdragged you should have a backplow.

6. Switchless

Switchless Member
    from NJ

I must agree, a backplow looks super for doing 80 foot straight single drives. Wondering...... I assume you pull/push the snow to the street. Do you then back up into the street and plow the snow against the side of the street?
    Pete

7. Switchless

Switchless Member
    from NJ

ALSO....... if what you say is true, there should be a lot of backplowers and I'd like to here more about back drag plowing techniques..............Afterall, this is the plow forum:D

8. Toby

Toby Senior Member
    from NY

Pull it out...push it where you'd normally Push.

The res. plowers around here w/out backplow usually use 2 or more shovel or blower guys to clean up the mess & areas their front plows can't get.