1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SnoWay Help needed

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by krashemall, Oct 23, 2012.

1. krashemall

krashemall Junior Member

I jus tlooked and I posted my first post in the wrong area so I thought I would post it here instead.

OK everyone. I want to say hello and thanks for having a site where fellow snow removal techs can exchange ideas and help out. I come to this site with a question or two. I sent a message to Basher before I registered to this site, but I figured I would post it here to so if a resolution is made everyone can benefit.

I thought I would ask if anyone has heard of the wired control box on a 22 series plow not working. I purchased a used plow from a guy who claimed it was a 2010 snoway predator model with DP but I can’t find serial numbers on it. My brother and I have fabricated a mount to fit my 1994 bravada and we were just trying to test the unit before final mounting and we can't get it to power up.

Based on the research I have done, I have found a controller 96107382 on ebay and I tried to plug it into the system and I can’t get the power light to activate on the remote. I believe the control box to be the 96105084 model. I tested the motor directly and it spins so I don’t know where to start testing to see what is bad. I don't have lots of dollars to throw at buying more parts on ebay with unknown functionality. Any help from the group would be appreciated. I figured I should ask now before snow season fully hits.

Thanks

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Are you pushing the on/off and DP button at the same time?

3. krashemall

krashemall Junior Member

yes, I found that info in the manual I downloaded. I noticed you mentioned in another post where someone asked about wiring that there are fuses under the cover so i am goign to check that and then see what else can be done.

4. krashemall

krashemall Junior Member

OK so I got to look at the plow tonight and the fuse holder under the cover has a 10amp fuse in working condition so now I need to see where to continue the troubleshooting.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Check for a bad connection in the plugs. Careful unscrewing them if you do it improperly it will break wires.

6. krashemall

krashemall Junior Member

I don't have to worry about breaking wires, the last guy cut off the original connector and put spade plugs on it. I got a controller from ebay and removed the connector on the end to match up the 3 wires exposed by the last guy...and the sytem does not power up. I believe that the "brain box" might be fried.

Do you know of any way to repair it? Or know of someone with a replacement that is not the full price of new ones I found on the web? I don't want to make up a nightmare of switches to control this if I don't have to. I can send the brain box and controller some where if it can be fixed. I just know I am running out of fall and winter will be on in Nebraska.

7. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

It's like a computer in your car.The brain boxes can't be fixed. Mine went out last winter, at 3am, when I went to start the plow route....

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Are you getting 5 volts to the controller? is there 12 volts at the coils? Ebay would not be my choice for purchasing controls unless they are from a reputable dealer.

There is no repairing the receiver module (black box under the pump cover.) If you are considering building a harness buy the family pack of diodes.

9. krashemall

krashemall Junior Member

I will double check the voltages and see if i have any volts to the controller or coils. If i don't have power out do I assume that the computer is dead?

Is there a part number for the family pack of diodes, or are you simply stating I will need lots of them to complete the project?

If I try computer(blackbox) replacement, do the computers in the old style have any better reliabliity than the new style and/or is there a way to convert my older plow to the new pro series system? Thoughts?

my apologies if someone has already asked these questions, I didn't find them listed quite like this so I though it was best to ask, Thanks for the replies so far.

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I was suggesting you would need a lot of Diodes, and a firm understanding of how to read electrical drawings.

Yes you can upgrade. We sell a upgrade kit. Check my website and give us a call

No I wouldn't assume anything yet. While it is pointing in that direction I'll email you a check list of possible culprets.

My address in in the signature send me a email title it snoway ? and I'll send you a check list before you replace it.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  11. krashemall

krashemall Junior Member

Thanks, I thought that was what you meant but figured I better ask. I have done a bit of soldering on computer motherboards and have built a few kits with resistors and diodes and while in engineering classes I had to do the electronic circuit analysis to calculate what values were needed and then draw the diagram with CADD software...but that was a few years ago now so it is a good thing i have patience enough to read the layout I found in the manual.

I saw your website and was unsure if that offer listed was actually an upgrade kit...I may try homebrew idea first, but I may just have to call and order something. thanks for your help.

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I did a "homebrew" just for fun one time. You can do it but it is a rat's nest and highly aggravating to trouble shoot. Suggestion, low amp fuses in all circuits. they are a combo of 24 and 16 watt coils so the amperage requirements are fairly low but without a limiter if they fail, they will flame;).