1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snoway electrical ??? problems

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by jensensseward, Dec 26, 2009.

1. jensensseward

jensensseward Junior Member

Hey guys, I'm having a problem with my snoway. I was told to first test the solinoid. It has four posts. Two big, two little. One little one is ground, the other goes to my controller I think. I was told to test for voltage at his terminal. It reads zero. I couldn't remember if its suppose to read zero or 12 or what. I thought my controller was the problem. We'll see. The plow works fine but goes up no matter what. I have to hold it in down position all the time. Plus motor wants to run full time. any ideas...
  2. Gumpy52

Gumpy52 Member

Its sounds like your plow solenoid is bad. and needs replacing. Unhook the controller or the controller wire to see if the pump stops, if it does than the controller is bad or a short in the controller wiring. If not than the relay is bad.
  3. jensensseward

jensensseward Junior Member

hey I ampreciate your reply. I had been told that the controller may be bad but hesitated to spend the money until I had checked off any other potential problems. I did unplug my controller and pump does shut down. So sounds like sure enough the controller is bad. I wonder if a universal controller is the way to go. Or if they are just as expensive.?
  4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

One little post is a ground, one should be hot when you give the raise command. For the big ones one should be hot all the time the other hot when you give the raise command.

If you remove either one of the little wires the unit should not operate by the controls. If you remove the little wire and it continues to run the motor it's a bad solenoid.