1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SnoWay Electric Spreader

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by basher, Jan 14, 2006.

1. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Anybody using the Snoway electric drive in-bed hopper spreader. Looking for input from experienced users. Good, Bad, Indifferent? What kind of material do you spread, sand, salt, cinders, a mixture? I'm considering adding a unit to the "fleet." I love my snow ex vee pro for salt but I don't want to have to go through the hassle of changing baffles, etc if I need to apply sand. I've grown to appreciate not having to worry about fuel, spark plugs, etc. so I prefer not to have another gas drive unit.

2. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

I have the 8' electric V box. I love it! It spreads great runs good. The electric motor is quite. Nice with no noise from an engine. I spread salt and also sand/salt mix through it. The only thing is if your going to spread a mix you should drill your own holes for the inverted V. Mine was a little low and I would have to poke it through. As soon as I remounted the inverted V higher no problems any more. Heres a pic

100_1484sander.JPG

3. Groundwork

Groundwork Member
    from Vermont

6' spreader

I just bought a 6' stainless sno-way electric this year and so far I haven't had any issues with it. I've only spread salt with mine and only had salt freeze up a couple of times since I don't have an easy place to empty the hopper when I'm done. I put 2x12 side boards on it so it's now capable of holding over 2,000 lbs of salt. It came with the inverted v and holes already on the support brackets, the only thing I did was raise it up one notch to allow the material to flow a little better.
    Here are a couple of pictures. Hope they show up, if not they are on my post in the pictures forum under: my "money maker"

http://www.plowsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15022&d=1138661862

http://www.plowsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15025&d=1138662479

4. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

To help prevent freeze up use a tarp. I got a heavy duty tarp that fits Ice-o-way units that works with sno-way. My material stays dry and won't freeze up.

5. Groundwork

Groundwork Member
    from Vermont

Actually I do use a heavy duty tarp, as soon as it is loaded the tarp goes on. I think the problem is that the salt is a little wet when loaded. The loader is always cleaning up the small piles that are on the ground and then drives back onto the covered pile with wet tires and the wet salt that was on the ground. It's only happened a couple of time when the temps got into the single numbers. First time was with a full hopper, 2+ hours to get it out, 2nd time it wasn't very full and took under 30 min. I'm just going to have to be more aware of the temperatures now, and look into an easier way to store my salt when not in use. Usually don't load up completely like the picture shows but was expecting to use quite a bit this week as they were predicting some storms, but nothing but 40 degrees and rain.

6. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

Digging up an old post here. Having a tough time with my sander flowing. I'm constantly having to get out and jam the dam thing to keep it going which is aggrevating to say the least. I have the Inverted V at the highest setting which leaves a good few inches for material to flow down the sides, but it doesn't. Does the unit run well without the V in place??

7. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

I know of many customers that remove the v and they run just fine.

8. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

I'll give that a shot. It would seem that the unit should work with that in there..why would Snoway put it if not. I'm not holding my breath that it's going to work much better removed though.

What are we talking for $ for a vibrator?

9. toby4492

The inverted v is included for the same reasons that you see them used in the gas models. It will work in there just fine in most cases. There are factors that can inhibit flow of material in any spreader. Moisture content of material, temperature, etc.... If your weather has been anything like here it is excessively moist even though we are in the 20's. If the material is wet I would suspect that removal of the v will help some. As mentioned a vibrator may be another option to consider.

Keep us posted after you remove it.

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

And what would those reasons be?

11. toby4492

The idea behind the inverted v cover is to keep excess material weight off of the conveyor allowing it to work under less of a load. Material is forced to flow down the sides of the hopper which in turn will help to prevent bridging of material. If the product being spread is excessivley wet I have seen where an inverted v can actually hurt rather than enhance performance as there is less surface area of material that gets to the conveyor. Wetter material will in essence stick to the sides of the hopper which in turn will reduce material flow.
    In the case of Turbo I would recommend that he remove it and see if the performance is better based on the condition of the material he is spreading.

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Do you feel the electric is capable of handling start up with-out the V after a night of plowing gravity and vibration has worked is compaction magic?

13. toby4492

There is always a possibility of compaction causing problems with start up and material flow as well. This is another reason that the v is included with most spreaders that are on the market. IMO all manufacturers would prefer to see hoppers loaded and have spreading occur almost immediately to avoid compaction, moisture absorbsion, freezing etc.... This would certainly aid in all units performance when it comes to material flow and probably extend the overall life of spreader as it is not working as hard to do it's job.

14. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

I am planning to remove the V this week. I"ll post an update after my next use. The material was damp..certainly not wet. It was in a covered area before loading and the tarp was put on immediately once in the hopper.

That's exactly what was happening though, the material was hanging up on the sides and the V..I'd have to poke it every 100ft of spreading. Was killing me!

15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

It could be worth your while to leave the V and add a vibrator. I added one to a hopper years ago and have refused to run with-out one since. Karrier has units, as does Snoway. I suggest stitch welding a piece of channel to the side of the unit to mount the vibrator on. Don't weld it too tight, it'll dampen the vibration.

16. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

I removed the V and sanded on Fridays storm, worked flawlessly. I had to hit it once w/my shovel handle in the beginning after riding around for a bit, think I was just impatient but other than that I didn't touch it and it spread the whole yard of material without a hitch.

Snoway really should consider a redesign of the V or removing it entirely.

Thanks to all for your replies and suggestions!

17. toby4492

Turbo,

Good to hear that it worked as expected.