1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snoway dropping down after raised

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by c.t. lawn care, Jan 23, 2004.

1. c.t. lawn care

c.t. lawn care Senior Member

i put the plow on today and left it up for a min and when i looked at it again it was on the ground... is this normal because the oil is not warm?? it is about 10 degrees out and it has sat all winter w/o use??? help would be greatful thanks
  2. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

No, not normal. You may have air in the system. When did you get the plow? You could have a leaking valve. It is the "C" valve. This is the valve with the Tan ground wire and the Red with white tracer power wire.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2004
  3. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

You've probably done this already, but you might want to check your fluid level. If it is low it will do this.
  4. legoconstruct

legoconstruct Junior Member

does it raise right away?
    or do you have to wait?
    if that is the case then it is the circuit breaker.
    this act just like the one in your house but resets on its own.
    lets us know and we can be of more help
  5. Plow Meister

It wouldn't be a circuit breaker because when the plow is raised, it doesn't take an electric current to keep the blade up. The blade should stay up as long as the up valve stays closed. My guess is either there is air in the system (common in brand new plows), low fluid as oldmankent said, or a bad up valve.
  6. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

After you check the fluid levels, work it up, down, right, left, etc. a bit.
  7. legoconstruct

legoconstruct Junior Member

true if power up works plow should stay up , but older plow that has been sitting valve will get stuck open as breaker gets weak.
    air in system on a open system like the snoway has no effect. as long as fluid level is ok. even then plow will raise or not, not raise and fall.

just my 2 cents and 20 years experience
  8. Plow Meister

The valve works in conjunction with a spring. When the solenoid gets power to it, it opens the valve. At the same time, it is counter acting a spring. The spring is what closes the valve, not the electric solenoid. If there was a weak breaker, the valve wouldn't OPEN very well.

Air in a system WILL affect the operation of the plow. Wen you force hydro fluid into the piston, air can be trapped in the fluid. Air is compressable. Hydro is not. If there is air in the system, it wiill slowly compress and the blade will lower. Not by much, but it will do so. If air in the system didn't matter, we would use air compressors to operate our plows and not hydro.

c.t., let us know what you find out.

Good luck
  9. c.t. lawn care

c.t. lawn care Senior Member

ok well i looked at the oil level and it was a little low. i topped it off and it seems to be fine now... i left the blade up fora bout a half an hour and it was right where i left it... thanks guys
  10. mylawn03

mylawn03 Senior Member

I don't have much experience, but my plow was doin the same thing. Turns out, I busted the hyd. hose closest to the truck on the lift ram. Sounds like low fluid to me.

Whoops! Didn't notice that last post....Sorry bout that!