1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snoway DP actual #

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Triple Amp., Oct 16, 2002.

1. Triple Amp.

Triple Amp. Junior Member

Hello, I am new to the site and have been reading 100's of threads using search and did not see any that talked about Sno-Way Down Pressure actual pounds of pressure. Correct me if I'm wrong but according to their website the MT 90 7 1/2 plow ways about 490lbs. They also state " It Adds 30% additional plowing weight by applying Down Force to the cutting edge." Well if you have a plow that ways 490lbs and add the 30% weight to it that would make a total weight of 637lbs. Isn't that primarily the same as the 690lbs Fisher plow which ways a little more. Just a thought. I am actually looking into purchasing a Sno-Way or a Fisher but not sure? I have a 2002 Chevy Silv. 1500 w/ a 4.8 V8. long bed regular cab. It also has the Snowplow prep package, tow haul package and heavyduty suspension package. Looking at the Fisher RD 71/2 w/ the Fisher Speedcaster 2 tailgate spreader. I will be plowing 15 driveways and 2-3 small commercial lots. First year plowing..

2. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Unless I am mistaken, the plow weight isn't really the key here. When DP is on, the plow does not "float" so the amount of pressure will vary according to the contour of the pavement.

Alan, can you explain a little more for us?

~Chuck

3. Sndun

Sndun Member

Let's see if I can put it into words.

First, I think the 490 lbs weight you mention is without the average subframe weight of 110 lbs. With that being said, in the end, the two plows are closer in overall weight than you may have thought.

Now, as far as down pressure goes: With dp off while plowing, only the actual weight of the plow acts on the blade edge. With dp on, weight is transferred from the front axle to the edge. In a sense, it raises the front of the truck body a small amount which adds pressure to the blade edge.

As for which brand to choose, I say go with what makes you most comfortable. Dealers' service and availability are important.

Hope I helped.

4. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

I have one snoway plow, it will be going into it fourth season of work. The plow with down pressure on works way better than a standard plow just floating, no comparison. Even compairing it against my nine foot blade(which is quite heavy).

CGB

5. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

The Sno-Way downpressure remains pretty constant. There is a release valve which ltes pressure bleed off if the plow climbs over a bump, and a pressure switch which kicks the pump in if the plow passes a sag. I have no idea what the total pressure is but it's enough to lift the front of the truck 1-1 1/2" when it powers up.

One thing very nice about it is that the DP keeps the plow from bouncing over a rough surface. This is even more so if you run a urethane edge. Before we used urethane we had a couple storms that started as snow, then went to sleet/freezing rain and formed a solid crust on top of about an inch of snow. Conventional plows could not peel it off, they would only ride on top. Our Sno-Ways had pressure enough to cut and peel it loose, leaving bare pavement. VERY hard plowing though as it would tend to slide the front of the truck sideways when you hit an especially hard spot.

Best I can offer is that we just bought our fourth Sno-Way in an area which gets 80" per year average. Our oldest is going into the ninth season and we've only changed one motor and a couple valves. Other than some cracking problems in the framework, which were easily welded that has been all the problems we've had. Two 8' Predators and now two 9'1" Lobos.

6. Triple Amp.

Thank you very much to all of you. I really appreciate the comments and professionalism on this site. I think I understand how it works now. I'm thinking about getting the fisher Speedcaster 2 spreader. It states that it can handle wet sand, sand, salt, and calcium chloride. Have any of you had any experince with this one. What type of spreaders do you all use and why?

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Triple Amp, are you limited to a tailgate model? If so, the Speedcaster 2 would be good choice. If you can go with a Vbox, then I'd recommend the Fisher ProCaster. It has a wider chain and comes with optional Honda motor. I used that model last year and had no problems. Started easily every time, never stalled and with the variable speed control, I could easily control the rate of material while staying warm in the truck. I would store material in the Vbox for days without it clogging; against much advise to the contrary (but it was in my garage). Started right up the couple of times I checked this summer. Most will recommend the stainless, but I stayed with the painted. I don't use untreated salt.

Last winter was my first experience with a sander, so I don't have anything to compare it with, though.

8. Triple Amp.

Unfortunately I only have a 1/2 ton Chevy so the vbox is out of my range. They state that it is only for 3/4tons and larger. Looks like I will go with the tailgate spreader. Thank you very much for the help. Any Idea how to price just for labor for Deicing, say salt /sand/calcium chloride. Materials is a no brainer. Just don't know what to charge. I'm trying to find out a square foot pricing for it.

9. Bryan

Bryan Senior Member

Sno-way DP

I just wanted to give you a little more info about the Sno-Way plow with Down Pressure. My husband use to be the Sno-Way rep in the midwest until his death 2 months ago. With the down pressure Chuck and Alan hit the nail on the head. Also, with the Down Pressure on it puts 250 pounds of down force on the cutting edge not to the blade which gives you a smooth, clean pass. Not to mention that you can pull straight into a driveway and put the plow down, put on the DP and pull back in reverse, and your done. Easy as pie. Go to the next job. Plus it comes with a 5 year warranty and you can put a hand held controller with it, no wiring.

Also they have a new Sno-Way Mini Spreader now. It goes into a Reese hitch and will hold up to 400lbs of sand, salt etc. With a variable speed controller and a spreading path of 4 to 40 ft. Also They have an Opta-flow, a little more money but holds up to 700lbs, but I figure the Mini Spreader would be better for you while you are starting out. I hope this helps. If you need anything else, just email me at my husbands address.

10. Triple Amp.

I want to thank everyone for all there responses. Thank you also Bryan. I have decided to purchase a Snoway 7 1/2 to place on my truck and it will be installed on Tuesday. The major reason I have chosen this plow is because of the incredible customer service this dealer has. I went to see a Fisher and and sat down with the salesman. Not a good one I might add. I asked them if they had any specail service hours during a snow event and If I could just stop in if something broke to get it fixed as I will be having contracts to satisfy. He stated that it was a first come first serve. If we can fit you in we will, if not then you are out of luck. They are closed on Sat. and Sun. They have been one of the only plow dealers around here for oper 40 years and there primary business is fixing heavy equipment. So they don't care how it would effect my business. They were kind of rude also, like I was waisting there time or something. So I went to check out the Snoway at Pro-Image racing. This guy Mike was awesome. He not only told me that if my plow breaks down he would let me use one of his plow trucks until it is fixed so I don't get behind but he also stated that unless I have contract lined up tojustify getting a spreadr then it would not be worth it. He stated that I could rent a sander truck from him If I ever need one until I can just the cost of getting a new one. This is what great service is all about. I bought that plow before I left that day. Sorry so long winded. Just thought everyone would appreciate this type of service.....

11. Haden61

Haden61 Member
    from Iowa

snoway down pressure

I may of missed it, sorry if I did. I have also asked that too. Is it not what is applied pressure that counts? Has anyone scaled the plow with and without the pressure on to see what is applied to the scale? Pump pressure can be any number but it only counts what is at the surface. It has to be a plus with down pressure. Haden