1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snoway design flaws.

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by corkireland, Jan 21, 2007.

1. corkireland

corkireland Senior Member

Well I've have a few tidbits and requests from the people at snoway from my four years of experience with my plow.. I have a the MT series plow and I've not had a lot of troubles but I have a feeling that I'm going to be getting to that point very soon. My problems start with the main lead from the soleneoid jumper to the pump (red 4 gauge wire) It's broken twice on me, snapped from fatique at the bolt. Now once I can understand but twice is irritating once I figured out why this was happening. Because of the different types of metals that make up the plow housing, Ie. steele, aluminum etc., They have different expansion coefficients so when going from heated storage to cold to heated storage the bolts that keep the pump tightend down loosen up. This allows the pump to torque itself against the wire connectors and inevitably lead to not only the failure of these wires, but also the failure of the pump as it broke the bolt that holds the whole pump together and it shorted out. Luckily replaced under warranty. But all of this combined with the fact that because the pump sits on top of the blade, it takes all the abuse the blade does which adds to the effects of the deteriating condition of the pump. It also seems that because of the design of the hydrualic lift that the pump has to use alot more torque and leverage than a pump that would lift the weight at a 90 degree angle, This has to be putting more stress on the motor and pump and frame. Let me the first to say I'm not dissatisfied with the product and I'm pleased that its gotten me this far and the downpressure is great! But I see now that there are some defanite flaws in design and I know because of pattens and personal snoway design I'm not sure that these issues can be solved in future. Just my 2 cents worth:salute:

2. snowman2025

snowman2025 Senior Member

correct me if i'm wrong, but wouldn't mounting the pump in a different place take away the downpressure??

Sure, you could mount the pump on the truck. Then it takes all the abuse the truck does throughout the rest of the year. I don't know about the rest of you, but my truck goes through a lot of abuse working on a farm. The pump being mounted on the plow and the downpressure is the exact reason i bought my sno-way.

its nice since once you unhook, and put it up in the shed, the pump and everything comes off? Granted however, I have to take off the mounting brackets due to my work, i need all the ground clearance possible. but mounting the pump off of the actual plow takes away from the extra added down pressure and gravity weight.

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

How is the power wire getting fatigued? It shouldn't move.

4. corkireland

Thats what I thought.. but the acutel bolts that keep the pump mounted the plate, keep lossening up enought to allow a the motor enough free movement because the torque spin that it puts a little stress on the wire, I've tightened these bolts down several times but in addition to that stress, the stress of hitting the edge of a driveway where the plow comletely folds up and stops the truck in its path seem to be enough stress the other day to break the connector.

Also most other plows the entire headgear comes off like snoway where the pump instead of being on the plow would be on the head gear and simle come off. Just run a hydrualic hose from the pump down the lifiting cylinder, you can still maintain downpressure. Then your pump is not subjected to as much abuse.

Also the wires and some lines take more abuse it seems with the pump on the plow. My main power lead has places where they are worn through the webbing and even through the installing a little bit, I've taken steps to protect the wires but having those lines get moved up and down so much can't be good either.

I should preface and say that my plow goes up and own alot more than most peoples as i do a residential association with 50 plus drives to two car garrages and they are all in one big loop around a block. So my plow goes up and down around 8 times per driveway

Last edited: Jan 22, 2007
  5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

try locktite "red" on the bolts.
    Back off your springs a little.

Your talking about the power wire between the motor and the 12vMS? if so try a little longer one, maybe more flex will delive the stress.

6. corkireland

I'll have to give that a try.