1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snoway Cutting Edge worn out after one event!!!!

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by YPLLLC, Feb 1, 2009.

YPLLLC Senior Member

How long is a cutting edge suppose to last? I litterally plowed for one event( 54 hours straight) and my cutting edge seems to be worn quite a bit. Has anyone else had this problem with snoway, I figured an edge would last at least a whole season but the way i see it i will need a new one after the next event. any ideas?
  2. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

not to sure about snow way but yes your edge should last longer than 1 event. My personal opinion is get an after market or heavier duty edge. I always get the heavier edges than the stock edges. They last much longer.

YPLLLC Senior Member

could this be because I am doing something wrong?
  4. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

Did you use the down pressure the whole time?
  5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What are you plowing ? Was the cutting edge plowing on blacktop or was there a snow base.

YPLLLC Senior Member

no, I used the down pressure on only one residential driveway, no need for it anywhere else

YPLLLC Senior Member

Plowing on blacktop, we got 4-8in throughout STL and I basically only did everything twice so i would say no snow pack
  8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

adjust your skid feet.

YPLLLC Senior Member

I dont use the skid feet. After reading on here I got the impression that they are useless unless you are plowing gravel. Am I wrong?
  10. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

If your edges are wearing fast then you should try running the feet. When they get started correctly they will wear with the edge. The blade may not scrape quite as well though. But I'd at least try it. Get a new edge and set the shoes so they are barely not touching. Then start plowing. The edge should wear into the shoes and then they both should wear evenly.
  11. YPLLLC

YPLLLC Senior Member

is this the only option I have? also is there a reason that it is wearing so fast?
  12. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

You must have extremely soft edge

we are on our third season on our edges with no feet on bare asphalt/concrete all the time
  13. YPLLLC

YPLLLC Senior Member

i am going to get a blade made at a shop, any idea what gauge and such i need to get? Should I just take the current one to them and get it copied and then have them make the blade in the strongest steel possible. Or is there a limit to the strength before the blade will hurt the road???
  14. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

go thicker halfin will do
  15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

What truck do you have it mounted on?

If you are going to have a shop make you one tell them 1018 steel. If you are running it on one a Toyota, consider a poly edge. They are a lot lighter and a T-1 urethane wear edge will last a LOOOONG time.
  16. NootDogg

NootDogg Senior Member
    from WI

He YPLLLC, PM sent
  17. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Define "worn quite a bit"? There will be more wear on a new edge and then it gets the angle ground on it the plow will scrape at the best. Wear after that is minimal and the edge should last longer.
  18. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

what series plow do you have? and if you plowed for 54 hours that is quite a bit of time on the wearstrip, if you have a 22 series plow, the wearstrip really isnt that heavy duty.
    the shoes are intended for gravel roads but you can use them on asphalt you just wont get as clean of a cut
  19. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Another thing to look at is your blade at the right angle?
  20. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

cutting edge wearing down means cash pile going up. Plow shoes are not useless put em on , you should still make a clean job.payuppayuppayuppayup