1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snoway 4 cubic Foot Spreader questions

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by vamootsman, Dec 1, 2008.

1. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

Just used a brand new for the first time. Didn't throw the salt more than about 3 feet to the drivers side, and less to the passenger side. I have the variable speed control, and it was on the highest setting. Should it throw farther? Seems like variable speed was a waste of money if it won't.

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

How far open was the flow gate?

What material were you throwing?

3. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

It was all the way open.

Used some bulk bags of rock salt first.

Then some blue snow melt that I buddy was using, and needed help getting a lot done. The blue stuff didn't stick together as badly.

the rock salt packed together frequently and wouldn't slide down to the center as well either.

Any suggestions are welcom, thanks for the quick response.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Clumpy rock salt and the SW4 are not the best combination, but you should get better then 3 foot from the spinner. Are you sure you're getting full power to the unit? I had one today that the pins were not fully set in the cab plug and it was only getting 4.5 volts to the rear.

Also check your grounds

5. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

It's going in Thursday to check out why the right headlight on the Truck barely works after is the wiring was installed, so I'll have them check out the power to the motor then too. I was kinda wondering about that myself.

My options were limited to offsite salt storage nearby, so I get what they have. I asked about a vibrator for the unit to keep things flowing too. How well would it work on the 4 cu. ft. unit?

I appreciat the help

Bruce

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Yes a 80lbs vibrator will help but do not go bigger then 80lbs. Karrier makes good vibrators, the complete kit is less then $300

7. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

Basher is right (of course he is), do not go bigger than 80lbs on the vibrator or you will tear the hopper apart. Buyers also makes a complete vibrator kit and you should be able to get into one of those for around $230. Part # 3008241.

8. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

Any reason you don't recommend the Snoway vibrator?

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I don't not recommend the snoway unit. They have a good unit as well

10. STRONGARM

STRONGARM Senior Member

I have the same problem with my 9 cu ft unit........I used some fluid film on the inside of the hopper as well as all over the spinner. This helped with the salt sticking to the spinner but has'nt helped with the inside of the hopper.

I refuse to spend 250-300 on a vibrator, I have had other spreaders without this problem.

11. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

Had the Spreader checked out today. Said everthing looks good. I'll check the voltage myself though. Seemd to work a little better with the Salt I used this time. it was completely dry, and broke down little smaller, but still only appeared to give about 12-15 of spread on high. If I coud get closer to 25 I could do the whole strip mall in one less pass on every side including the access streets.

12. Ctll

Ctll Member
    from midwest

I have a new 9 cu ft unit and it is not spreading as well as my lesco mini load did either. I checked voltage and its good and gates are wide open. hooked lesco back up and spread same material 10-12 feet farther than the snoway unit. any Ideas? can I take the gates out so it is a full flow like the Lesco?
    Snoway maybe 20 feet at less than five mph (slow)
    Lesco mini load 30 feet at least 8-10 mph same amout of material

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Have you checked your belt tension?

14. Ctll

Ctll Member
    from midwest

yes, less than a 1/2" of deflection, should I tighten it up so there is nearly no deflection? I don't know if may be its the amount of material the gate let through verses the open auger on the Mini load?

15. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

OK, Just spent 45 minutes trying to just get my lot salted and never did finish. This spreader is the biggest POS I've ever used. Using The same salt as before, when it worked OK for one day, and it this time it was cavitating, would make a horrible grinding noise, (maybe the belt was slipping). And took all of the 45 minutes to throw a whopping 6 bags of Salt. My son got so bored he fell asleep in the passenger seat. What gives? The dealer says it's fine, but it does not work for Crap. Do I ask for a refund and pay the difference for an upgrad the 6 cu footer? Is that an upgrade? I'm kick'n A with a little 6'8" ST, but my spreader is kick'n mine.

16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Have not had issues with the 4, 6, or 9 when using proper materials. Perhaps you need to take the material you use and the spreader for your dealer to see the problem, he may have a solution.

17. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

I'm using bagged rock salt by the pallet. It's going in today. I'll posst the result.

18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

It should handle that:confused: Awaiting the outcome.

19. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

I pulled the top, and the belt was so loose I could just pull it off. Tightened to 1/2" deflection and am going to run a couple of bags through and see what happens. Dealer is calling Snoway for suggestions. Shouldn't need a vibrator, so hope I get a good deal on one if that's the only solution they have.

20. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

Just tried again, same thing, drive 20 feet and it cavitates and stops throwing, and only throws about 5 feet to the drivers side. The salt is dry as bone, fresh out of the bag.