1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snoway 28v series plow troubles

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Schreiby, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Schreiby

Schreiby Junior Member

My plow blade this morning raised very slow and the side wing moved very slow too. After I positioned everything I dropped the blade down and went to raise it again and it wouldn't raise and the wings wouldn't move either. The hydraulic motor is running so I'm getting power to that. I'm wondering if there is air in the hydraulic system. Would that cause this to happen? I need suggestions!
    HELP Please!

2. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

It's not air1st thing to do is check your fluid level. If it's cold in MN, and I believe it is, you probably have moisture in the system and it froze up. Get the plow in a garage or pur a torpedo heater on it. Then ck for leaks and change the fluid.

3. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Also check the electrical connections to make sure they are not corroded. The motor may be running but it may not be running at top performance because of low voltage caused by poor connection.

4. Schreiby

Schreiby Junior Member

I greatly appreciate your responses! It gives me a great place to start. Thank you both for your help and wisdom!

Was hoping one of you could tell me how I can get the plow back to the v shape position for that is the only way I can get it back into my shop? It's sitting outside right now with no chance of getting warmed up by the heater. Again would appreciate any sound advice on how to move the plow back into the v shape position when it is in this condition.

Thank you!

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Use a hairdryer. Loosen the pump cover enough to get a hair dryer nozzle under it and let it run. Don't let it get too hot and melt something. If it is Ice (and it sounds like it) worry about heating the reservoir. Ice forms and clogs the pick up filter screen

6. Schreiby

Schreiby Junior Member

Thank you basher!
    I'm heading out right now to see if that will work so I can get it in the shop and change the fluid. Any tips on changing the fluid, do's or don't??
    Will be my first time changing the fluid would like to make sure I'm doing it correctly?
    Thank you!

7. Schreiby

Schreiby Junior Member

Thank you basher! The hair dryer did the trick! Have it back in the shop and I'm thinking might as well open the reservoir and clean the filters and change the fluid!
    Thanks so very much for the excellent advice!