1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snoway 28v series blowing main engine ign fuse

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by blowsnowblow, Jan 22, 2013.

1. blowsnowblow

blowsnowblow Junior Member

like the title says i have a snoway 28v series plow on a 2000 chevy 2500...when ever i raise and lower the plow after several times the main ignition fuse to the truck blows and the truck dies also the power wire to the controller (ran to the fuse box in the truck) gets really hot and it starts to smoke (the wire its self does). im pretty sure it may be a ground issue but not really sure? any advice would be greatly appreciated!! thanks so much

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Check the condition of all the power and ground wires make sure they are connected to the battery.

Are you sure you have a 28V and not a 28D?

3. blowsnowblow

i believe its a 28v how do i know if its a 28D...this plow has been a very good plow UNTIL this year not one break down besides hoses!! i have been banging my head tryn to figure this plow out this season!!:realmad: sometimes it blows the ignition fuse other times it blows the blower motor fuse the big maxi fuses under the hood...

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Check your wiring. You have the rocker switch control? If so it is a 28D.

5. blowsnowblow

thanks for your patience with me! i do have the rocker style control box so i guess i have the 28D series thats good to know i didnt know that. also when you say wiring do you mean the main wiring for the plow at the battery, at the main relay solenoid (mounted to the firewall), or wiring from controller?

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

All of it but particularly the main power and ground, remember there are two of them. Seems like you are trying to power the plow though the control harness wires rather than the power cables. Did you have new battery(s) installed this summer?

7. blowsnowblow

no but we did remove all the battery connections ro replace the starter cable...hmmm if it is something as simple as that im gonna kick myself in the a@@!! but it does make since that im tryn to power the plow with the control harness! ill check all these things and get back to ya...once again thanks for your brain power its much appreciated!!!

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Let us know:waving:

9. blowsnowblow

finally figured out why maxi fuses where blowing...it was the red with black chaser wire that powers the control box it splits and goes to the main connection at the front of the truck. replaced the complete wire! now the right wing will go out but it wont retract did i screw something up by replacing the wire? it will come back very very slowly if i tap on the rocker repeatidly? swapped coils and no help also removed valve and cleaned and made sure they were free and plunger seems to work

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Does the motor run?

11. blowsnowblow

yes motor runs...i figured it out i had power constant to the extend coil and it wasnt allowing it to release to retract i ran the wrong red wire it was my own bone headed mistake i guess this cold weather is getn to me!!! thanks for yor help it was very helpful!!

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Glad you have it straightened outThumbs Up