1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snoway 22 series lower hoses leaking?!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by jrunner01, Oct 31, 2011.

1. jrunner01

jrunner01 Member

Hi All...

Looking for some input into a problem I'm having with my Snoway 22 Series. It seems after last seasons heavy use at home, the two lower hoses that feed the left and right rams are leaking from the hose body itself. It feels as if the bodies were chaffed perhaps by rubbing on the frame or the rams themselves??? I have not looked into this that much but that is what I am guessing by the look of the hoses and the texture of them feeling ragged. It looks like both hoses are nicely routed and therefore wouldn't think this would be a hose contact issue, although I don't know what else could have caused this.

Does anyone know of this being a known issue with this model plow? Also should I order new hoses from Snoway or go local? Can I buy these locally at a NAPA? I guess I will be needing fluid too. Is this a special kind?

Thanks in advance...

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  2. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

I just replaced all my hoses on my 22 series. Its probably just time to replace. You should replace all 4 also. Sno-way wants $160 for the 4 hoses. I was able to get them at a local hose shop for $64. They custom made them right on the spot. The line is about twice the size of the OEM with higher pressure ratings. With the fittings. The lower hose for DP is a PITA! the lift cyl. needs to be dropped out to access it.

If you dont have any place to get the hose, I can have them made up and ship them to you. Shouldn't be more than $10 to ship. $75 vs $160..... I'd take the $75!!!

Only downfall, is that they dont have those special swivel elbows that are on there right now. The hardware they gave me worked, I just had to unbolt the top part of the pump (3 allen screws) and put the elbows in.

3. jrunner01

jrunner01 Member

Thanks for the reply. I just got around to taking off the two lines to the rams and heading to a napa store for about 30.00 bucks a hose, they will make new ones. Not as cheap as your price for 65.00 which I assume for all 4?

As for the elbows and ends of the hoses that they couldn't replace exactly, were you speaking to the other two hoses, for the up down and down pressure lines? Because on the two lines going to the rams, one is just a straight connector on both ends and the other is a straight connector on one end and a elbow on the other. Is that the one you meant they couldn't replace?

But also the route of the lines on the rams seems wrong as they go on the outside of the A arm to the center controls on the A arm. I think what happens is when the A arm raises, it brings the hoses in contact with the vertical frame of the plow holding the lights. I think this is where the rubbing occurs. Perhaps a long hose routed to the center behind the vertical frame, ie closer to the bumper for example and then to the center may be a better route so the hoses don't rub the vertical frame. I don't plow a whole lot, just my private driveway. Hard to believe this is just normal wear?!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  4. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

I will post a picture of my hoses in a minute of the hose and elbows.

5. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

6. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

7. jrunner01

jrunner01 Member

So it looks like you got a new elbow from the place that made you new hoses, for the line that ends above the reservoir container? That hose I recall on mine having an elbow pre constructed into the line that would need to be recreated on a new hose or as I think you your pic shows it pieced together with a separate elbow.

The other line in front already has a separate elbow so a simple line with normal ends will work as in the original line that came with the plow.

Thanks for the pics...!

8. jrunner01

jrunner01 Member

So does any fluid leak out from the pump when you lifted it up? I assume this was done so you could clear the reservoir to screw on the elbow?

9. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

yeah, a little oil will come out. Be very cautious of the two o-rings. They might want to hang up on the block.

Just need to clear the resivour for the elbows.

10. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

yeah, got the elbows from the hose shop. They are nice cause they have a nut on the resivour side. So you turn the elbow to were you want it, then tighten the nut. Otherwise, you may not end up with the right angle on the elbow. :p

11. jrunner01

jrunner01 Member

I am about to install the new lines during our first real storm! Talk about bad timing!

I have two quarts of plow fluid from S.A.M.s found at napa's. Hopefully that is enough to refil? I know probably not to flush.

Should I bother removing the reservoir and cleaning the filters? That will allow me the clearance to install the separate elbow, which I have also, instead of it being part of the line with the new hose. Or just remove the 3 screws on top to lift the box off the reservoir? Seems like more work removing all the wires and such to take the reservoir off rather than those 3 screws to just lift the box off the reservoir.

Thanks...

12. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

I think I would just remove the block. Worry about flushing and cleaning filters on a warmer day!

13. jrunner01

jrunner01 Member

Well I went the hard way. I figured I needed to get all the old brown fluid out anyways and from the looks of the 3 allen screws heads, to just move the top section, they were blocked by what I think are relays or something like that, square blocks that are on top with all the wires connecting to them. Not sure how I was going to get those 3 screws loosened without removing those blocks. That was something I didn't want to get into. I wasn't sure how easy it would be to do this and what I'd encounter. Did you have to remove some of those blocks to get to your 3 screws? Mine were blocked on two of them just by the corner of the blocks. There was only 1 screw that was unblocked totally, the middle one. From the looks of your pics, I think you have a different configuration of blocks than I do on top that may be the difference.

So off I went disassembling the entire unit from the plow base as described in the manual to get the reservoir off and cleaned out. The hardest part I had was getting that dam reservoir off the base. I could not get it separated for the life of me. Plus all the oil making things slippery didn't help matters. Finally after a lot of swearing and a bit of force it came off. But I must have spent about an hour just with that dam reservoir. The filters were pretty good. One had some gook on it that I cleaned off. Put it all back together and filled it up with the S.A.M.s hydraulic fluid that I got at Napa auto parts... about 1.3 quarts. Since I got almost all the fluid out via the disassemble, I didn't bother changing the fluid again with a turkey baster or similar tool to suck out the fluid from the reservoir for a 2nd fluid change. By this time I was too cold and tired to imagine and was in the dark for about half the time with no lights or power. It all started in the daylight and then quickly turned to darkness. At that point I was stuck working with a flashlight. I started at 1 pm in the afternoon and didn't start plowing my driveway till around 10 pm! The repair took forever but I think the conditions slowed me down tremendously factored with the newness of it and most of all the cold.

I don't want to do that again in the middle of a storm! :mad:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  14. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

yikes!

yeah, I had to remove the red blocks to get to the screws. I just took them all off. But, its good that you got everything cleaned out and fluid changed. I did my cleaning and fluid change this summer :D

15. jrunner01

jrunner01 Member

How easy are they to take off?