1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snoway 22 or Fisher Homesteader

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by crankerthedude9, Sep 8, 2008.

1. crankerthedude9

crankerthedude9 Junior Member

I have a 2000 Ford Explorer 4x4 and was wondering which plow I should purchase. The Snoway 22 series or the Fisher homesteader. I've heard that the Sno-Ways have alot of problems with welds breaking and the homesteaders have problems with the trip band bars bending. I would get a commercial plow if they made one for my truck but I'm out of luck... So, which is the better choice? I'm only going to use it for driveways and small parking lots. Any input at all would help! I'd also like to see a few pictures of both of these plows. I have a call into my local snoway dealer to get a final price installed. The Fisher is going to run me 3400 installed. Also, if there is any other plow thats better than both of these models let me know. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!
  2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

3. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

go FISHER!!!!
  4. festerw

festerw Senior Member

^ who's surprised :rolleyes:

Why get a Fisher pretending to be a Snoway when you can get the real deal?

The 22 series is wider, taller (I believe, Fisher's sites sucks for specs on the Homesteader), wireless controls, down pressure and has actual trip springs.

Also crankerthedude9 I don't know if Meyer makes a mount for your Explorer but I've heard decent things about their new Drive Pro plows and they've upped their warranty to 3/5 year.
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  5. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

I second that...You will be much happier with a Sno-Way. I havent heard anything about Sno-Way's welds...curious as to where you heard that?
  6. crankerthedude9

crankerthedude9 Junior Member

I searched around a bit on these forums, found a couple people who lifted some welds but they could have abused the plow. I've been hearing good things about that sno way 22....
  7. bribrius

straight up. buy a used one.

you buy a new one the vehicle will be worth less than the plow. All these plows will probably outlast your rig.

if you go to a dealer dont ask him what he has new ask him what he has kicking around out back that is a few years old that someone dropped. You spend 3400 on a fisher, or four k on a snoway. either way thats a lot of plowing that rig has to do just to make that money back and im not sure how long it will last or how lucatrive your accounts are.
  8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

But if you buy new you will have a unit that will work on future vehicles of this class. If you buy a used unit of a older mounting system you could find you either can't get a mount or you have to convert to use.
  9. bribrius

so buy the mounts with it.

you buy a new one and go to transfer a few years down the road to another vehicle aren't you just dealing with the same exact issue your stating anyway?
  10. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member
    from Maine

Back to the original question:

I'm a Fisher guy, and I've never owned a SnoWay. That being said, I'd choose the SnoWay over a Homesteader. (FYI: the Western Suburbanite is the same plow as the Homesteader)

I consider the Homesteader to be a personal use plow. The SnoWay is much more robust. Have you seen a Homesteader in person? Everything is so tiny. The pins that attach the plow to the frame look like toy parts.

If I needed a heavy duty, 8' - 9' plow, Fisher would be my first choice... well, maybe a Blizzard, but now I can even get a Blizzard painted Fisher Yellow. But I just don't think there's any comparison between a Homesteader/Suburbanite and a SnoWay.

Just my 2 cents. After adjusting for inflation... still arguably worth that.
  11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

How many Homesteaders have you owned Bri? Not even similar to the usual Fisher stuff your used to.

How about a Snoway?

BRENTMAN Senior Member

snoway model 22 hands down.
    The down pressure feature ALONE whoops the fisher
    the 22 inches high is perfect for what you want
    the warranty is great
    the polycarbonate blade is durable as sh*t at a lower weight
    strong plows, snoway really mastered the light weight plows
    it can handle residential as well as smalllllll lots.
    the wireless is always sweet as well.

im waiting for the "go" on getting my snoway 22....im losing my mind waiting
  13. xl1200c

xl1200c Junior Member
    from nj

I have a western Suburbante ( same as Homesteader) on a blazer and i love it. You cant beat the light weight, tight turing radius, and scrape lock. I plow 9 drives and have never had an issue. I would be scared to put a full size heavy plow on a explorer. The front will dive and the truck will drive like crap.
  14. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

I have used my suburbanite for going on three years now. I have had no problems with it and am always impressed with it's capabilities. I have plowed several driveways with my plow, for family and friends, and they too have been impressed! I once did my uncles plow route (after around 18" of snow, because he was in the hospital and it handled it great. The snoway is 22" tall which is a whopping one inch taller than the suburbanite at 21". The weight is comparable however the suburbanite is a touch lighter (270 total for suburbanite and 285 +mount for snoway). The snoway is also about a grand more expensive (at least it was). I have heard good things of the snoway too so the choice is soley yours but don't knock the homesteader/ suburbanite based on appearance and assumptions!!
  15. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

You should get a Fisher JMO. Fisher doesn't have a probablems with broken welds. And I don't think Snowway does either.
  16. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

The fisher is homeowner grade.

The snow way is an actual plow, had trip springs, down pressure, etc. It's just the smaller version of a normal plow for a truck.

BRENTMAN Senior Member

snoways backdragging is amazing with the DP
  18. rick4wd

rick4wd Senior Member

i knew this is an old post but what did you end up with? i have homesteder and would not recamend it for anything but personal use and maybe a friend or 2 i would go with a snoway or a boss sport duty