1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CT18fireman, Mar 17, 2002.

1. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Well at the risk of jinxing it, which because I doubt it I don't think I can, the weatherman are calling for 2-3" for my area tonight. So 2 of 3 sanders are on and one truck has a plow mounted. Don't want to overdo it but then again do not want to be unprepared.

Got cleanups scheduled for tomorrow so kept one truck ready for that. The temps have been falling so i guess snow is not out of the question. Time will tell. As I have said before, in Southern New England you never can tell when the weather may change.

2. wrtenterprises

wrtenterprises Member

We have about 2" on the grassy areas now, but little on the roads. Maybe a bit of early morning salting, but I see no plowing here in Central Pa....

3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

what station said that? i heard less than an inch?

4. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

My spreader is staying off. If we do get some snow to stick I'll just plow it like the last storm of 1''

5. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

This from TWC:

Sunday night: Snow showers and a steadier snow developing later tonite. Low near 31F. Light E winds. Chance of precip 70%. Snow accumulating 1 to 3 inches.

(Keep in mind all other sources are saying a dusting, including TWC on TV.)

Monday: Rain and snow in the morning becoming an icy mixture of snow, sleet and freezing rain late. Temps nearly steady in the mid 30s. Winds ENE 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precip 90%.

Monday night: Mostly cloudy. Low around 32F. Calm winds.

So we might get to use some salt........

~Chuck

6. landman

landman Senior Member
    from NJ

Just looked outside and it's snowing what the hell, just took the last plows and salters off the other day. already finished about 30 cleanups and have about 25 job lined up for the next couple weeks. Oh well I kinda hope we get a dusting so that I could dump the salt we got left. my equasion is like this, for every ton of salt we normaly use we are going to use 3 just to get rid of the stuff.

7. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

most acurate weather info I've ever gotten is found on www.uswx.com this has been the most accurate of all the info and shows I have seen they are calling for 1-2 in northern new jersey.
    Just hoping to have some to play wiht on my quad haha.
    Eric

8. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

as much as i like snow and plowing, its coming at the wrong time. i was planning on mulching and edging tomorrow. i dont think it will pan out to be much.

9. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

"WWW.weather.wrong" predicts the following for tonight:

"Orillia, Canada
    Last updated Sunday, March 17, at 4:41 PM Local Time (Sunday 4:41 PM EST)

Forecast
    Tonight: Snow likely. Low near 24F. Winds E 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precip 70%. 3 to 6 inches of snow expected."

Hmmmmm..................... I'll believe that when I see it.................... :rolleyes: Temp is curently 42, mind you I do see some wisps of cloud and the plow is off the truck.....................

10. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

It will never ever snow again in CT until the fireman returns Brian his fleece...talk about a jinx...

11. stslawncare

stslawncare Senior Member

it was in the mid 70's for a few days last week, infact it has been so wam and it has rained a few days that the grass was to high and i had to cut it, and today i was at fireschool climbing ladders with hail hitting me in the face!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my salt is packed away and only coming out if there is ice on the ground and it needs to be spread, not even getting it out just incase, only coming out if it has to

12. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I was working in the woods clearing an area for a shed today and could feel the temperature dropping. Before I came in for the day I put the sander in the truck, this guarentees nothing will happen. 1-2 inches predicted, weather map shows it over Pa. now. The ground is still warm, time will tell.

At this point I'd rather see rain, I'm ready to start the construction end of things and snow will just delay that. I hate plowing thawed ground too.

13. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I had the same experience today. Was able to get things wrapped up incase it does snow though.

Time will tell.

14. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Well just got back from a light pre-app to my lots. Been snowing since 2 am and have a light accumulation on lots. Little more on grass. Roads are just wet. Still callling for 1-3" in my area now. While that is possible I don't think much will be on the pavement. It is 32 now and should be getting above freezing and just collect on the grass.

Oh well it looks like winter at least and we got to use the spreaders again.:)

15. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

??? What's there to pre-app? Here, anyways, pavement temps were 35F at 5 am no accumulation on hard surfaces only the grassy areas. Even now just some light light slush on perpetually shaded paved areas otherwise by 9am the solar radiation thru the cloudcover will take care of the rest.

I welcome the precip in this dry period in whatever form it takes but IMO snowfall this time of year is more a PITA than any real boon.

Just return the kids freakin jacket so we can get back to normal weather!!!! ;)

16. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Temps here a little colder. Even had school delays. Lots of slick areas especially secondary roads and lots. Did pre-apps to lots, private roads and a few drives to be safe. Temp here is still below freezing, 28 right now.

I agree. Unless it is a big storm it is not worth the trouble.

This is not really enough precip for much. I here on Tues-Weds we may get some good rain.

17. NNJSnow

NNJSnow Senior Member

Around 9:30 it started snowing around here last night. This morning we had about a half to and inch of snow on the ground only it was part snow mostly sleet....very icey. I heard of a lot of car accidents. All we did around here is sanding and some shoveling.

18. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

We ended up with about 1 1/2" on the grass, paved areas are just wet. A number of area schools cancelled, I guess to burn up an extra snow day. They didn't use many this year. Very light snow falling now, map shows the tail end moving out.

19. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

we have enough to actually push north of boston just hooked my plow and sander back up.
    :)

20. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

"3 to 6 inches of snow expected" was a bit optimistic.........

...............more like "1 to 1-1/2 inches of snow" and it turned to drizzle by mid-morning.

Not enough to plow, but enough to make the roads slick. Saw one "motoristo estupido" had ended up on their roof (!?!) on the highway, another slid off into the median.................... :rolleyes: