1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

"Snow-zilla" vs the City of Anchorage, AK

Discussion in 'Storm Pictures' started by Alaska Boss, Dec 24, 2008.

1. Alaska Boss

Alaska Boss PlowSite.com Addict
    from Alaska

Well, this is the storm thread, and there's a big "storm" brewing in the biggest city in Alaska,... and it's over the biggest snowman in Alaska,... named "Snow-zilla". This guy has been building this huge snowman on his own property for like 15 years now, claiming it's the biggest snowman in Alaska,... about 25 feet tall or so,... and the city of Anchorage has been fining him,... threatening to throw him in jail, etc etc etc, if he ever built it again,... and today, here it is again, the 2008 model!! The city claims it's unsafe because the streets right there aren't wide enough to handle all the extra traffic this snowman is attracting,... that it's attracting drunks who are urinating on the sidewalks and other property,... and that it has the potential to collapse and possibly injure or even kill someone (such as if the head rolled off or something, I guess,...). The outrage of the people toward the city bureaucrats is quite amusing to listen to on the radio talk shows,... the best quote I heard today was,.... "When snowmen are outlawed, only outlaws will have snowmen",.... :D:D

Snow-zilla (Small).JPG

2. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

now that's cool :p (pun intended)

3. willyswagon

willyswagon Senior Member

That is beyond AWESOME!!! My kids were laughing thier butts off. Call the city and tell them that the people of Eastern Canada say it is time to Lightn' Up:confused:
    It's a Snowman not a nuclear bomb :dizzy:

4. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

very cool! i think im gonna try that...before this rain melt my snow :rolleyes:

5. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

The city cited them to take it down because "it was causing a hazard", since there was so much extra traffic in the neighborhood in the winter.

When the city goes threw neighborhoods that have culdesacks(sp?) they roll the snow to the center. a bunch of friends and I are going to go from culdesack to culdesack building snowman out of the snow the city put there. that way there is no one to cite, since its there snow they put it there and its a public road. should be fun.

6. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

And they can not jail Jack Powers for this, since it is a city code violation. not an ordinance. its not a criminal code. just a code enforcement, one like having junk in your yard.

7. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

Go for it. :D

8. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

how did he put the head on? with a bucket loader lol.

9. royallawn

royallawn Senior Member
    from kansas

what part of town is that in?

10. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

its over on the east side, a few houses down from a friend of mine.

i think its toatal BS honestly, i'd fight it but its not my deal.

11. KCB

KCB Senior Member

Where did he get that giant top hat!? I love it:D

12. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

I have no idea,... I had to make a quick trip into town yesterday, and this snowman is all that was on the news,.... it suddenly went up overnight,... it wasn't there the day before apparently,.... and the owner, Billy Ray Powers, says he's not sure who built it (basically taking the 5th),... but in any case, he had a lot of help to build that thing overnight,...

It's close to the corner of DeBarr & Airport Heights. Since I was in town yesterday and this is all anyone was talking about,... and this snowman was built for Christmas in direct defiance of orders from the city,.. I decided I had to go check it out,...

I think he's got a lot of fans across Anchorage, and someone probably made it, along with the scarf & mittens. I also heard on the news yesterday that there was a drive-by drug-shooting in town,... shoplifting is up by 15%-20%, etc etc etc,.... yet the biggest "crime" that was on the news was this monster snowman that is apparently threatening most everyone. The picture above is one I took just as it was getting dark,... here's one of a guy walking by,.. who's risking is life, because after all,... the head could roll off & kill him,... :dizzy:

Snowzilla.jpg

13. Humvee27

Humvee27 Senior Member

This is funny....it even made the news down here, probably because of all the snow we've had lately.....have any pics of the snowman in the cul-de-sacs? lol

14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

That snowman is totally awsome.

15. sjosephlawncare

sjosephlawncare Senior Member

now, this is a great thread. alaska boss, you must keep us informed on what happens with this, i.e., jail, fines, etc,!!!! that must be a very small town. if that happened here, he would get city grants, and they would probably let him use their loader!

16. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

That snowman is pretty freaking cool....

But where do people get this kinda time to make something like that?...still pretty cool.

17. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

This city is way stuck up. to many damn liberals, telling people what to do.

18. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Well, I try to stay out of Anchorage (by far the biggest city in Alaska,.. population about 300,000,... right at ½ of the total for all Alaska) as much as possible,... (I live about 250 miles away), so I may not hear the latest news on what becomes of all this,... maybe one of these other guys that live there can keep us posted,.. but whatever I hear, I'll pass on,.. :salute:

19. royallawn

royallawn Senior Member
    from kansas

where do you live?

20. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Well, just an update on "Snowzilla",... he apparently still lives, despite the continuing threats from city hall to dismantle him or face ever-increasing fines, getting arrested, possible jail time, etc etc etc. The city of Anchorage has received letters, phone calls, emails, etc from all over the world now pleading for the cause of Snowzilla. And apparently on Christmas Day,... some of Snowzilla's own family members showed up at city hall & picketed the front door with signs that read,... "Snowpeople have rights",... "Heck no, we won't go",... "Snowzilla needs a bailout too", etc etc etc. Witnesses said that the city manager (or possible security guard) destroyed them when he showed up for work the next morning,....

26-anon_8373_1230267118_standalone_prod_affiliate_7.jpg

754-4133959_3571_original_highlight_prod_affiliate_7.jpg

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008