1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Way plow, small cracks in the poly

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by Jasonnau, Nov 15, 2005.

1. Jasonnau

Jasonnau Junior Member

I have a 9' snowway plow on my 98 chevy 3500. In the clear poly blade there are several small cracks. Kind of similar to getting a rock ding in your window, and several small cracks. Is this going to cause this blade to crack when in use. I didn't notice these cracks before putting it up last year, but they are there now. I can try to take a pic if necessary.
  2. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Lexan is supposed to be pretty tough stuff. You might want to just get a replacment piece and keep it on hand in case yours does break. I would think a chip like you're describing isn't a big deal, but you never know. Also snoway dealer might not give you as good a price as say a glass shop for the same size piece of lexan.
  3. larryjlk

larryjlk Member

I would definitely start looking for a source for lexan mold board. Those are weak spots. Hit a rock at the end of a drive or extremely cold weather can cause the cracks to spread. Last year I knocked out a piece stacking snow on previous stack that had turned to ice. My lexan costs $150 and is a do it yourself installation. My dealer didn't have board in stock and had to wait 2 weeks to get it, it's pretty strange to see a trail of snow right down the center of your plow path.
  4. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Not a big deal. The spider cracking is normal. If there is a long completly through crack then you might want to start thining about a new cover. I have a single 5 inch completely through crack I got two years ago from a metal desk that somone else pushed into a mound and that was covered.
  5. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

look up "GE Polyshapes" in your phone book, if it is there you are lucky, they sell the inserts for $50 for 8' and $75 for 9'pumpkin:
  6. Jasonnau

Jasonnau Junior Member

Does Ge Polyshapes ship their stuff? It's not in the phone book.
  7. Jasonnau

Jasonnau Junior Member

Anyone know the phone number to Ge Polyshapes?