1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Way Plow lifts when down pressure is activated...Help

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by Jasonnau, Nov 5, 2005.

1. Jasonnau

Jasonnau Junior Member

Just hooked up the plow today to get things ready. Everything worked great, except, when I switch on the down pressure switch, and press down on the control, the plow raises. When the down pressure switch is activated, up raises the plow, and down raises the plow. When the down pressure switch is off, everything works fine. Any suggestions?

2. Jasonnau

Jasonnau Junior Member

This is a 2001 9' snow way plow. 24 or 25 series.

3. larryjlk

larryjlk Member

maybe you crossed your oil lines when you changed the oil. If you didnt mess with the wiring, I'd look there.

4. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

I'd doublecheck the wiring to the solenoids and make sure your grounds are good.

5. perfectstripes

perfectstripes Junior Member

I have a SnoWay V doing this same thing on a 95 Dodge Ram Cummins Dually. I took it to the local SnoWay dealer and they have no clue. Went online and found another nearby dealer. They have no clue. What do we/I do next?

6. Jasonnau

Jasonnau Junior Member

I took apart the control box and fiddled with the wiring. Looks like one of the wires came loose inside the box. I didn't see anything loose, but, when messing with the wires, I had the downpressure switch on, and it started working again. I checked to see that all the connections were tight, put it back together, and I'm ready to roll. Thanks for the info.

7. CTerrySGD

CTerrySGD Member

go to www.snoway.com and call them tomorrow. Ask for the tech department. I've spoken with them many times and they've been very helpful. Leave a message if you get their voicemail... They will call back in a few hours. I suspect you have a crossed hydraulic line or selenoid.

good luck!

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I know this is an older post but what happened Jasonnau? how about you perfectstripes? did you fix it? What was it. I'm curious since it happened to two of you I figure it might happen to me some day.

9. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

that's pretty sad, they are the dealer, they should understand how it works.

I have never worked on one of these plows but it's obvious to me that (most likely) the down pressure switch activates a solenoid that re-routes the fluid so it pushes down instead of up. If the solenoid is bad or the wire to it is not connected that solenoid will not re-route the fluid and therefor it goes up instead of down.

As was seen in Jasonnau's case, this seems to be exactly what happened.

If anyone's dealer can't figure this out, I'd look to another dealer.

-Jer

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I agree with you completely griptuck. the dealer should have been able to solve this no problem. Snoway dealers should have a factory trained tech, Snoway offers a in factory training school that makes the other manufacturers train class look like a joke. OK so other manufacturers training schools are a joke. I am just wondering if theory met the real world or if there was in fact a wiring problem

11. tessdad

tessdad Member
    from S.E. MA

I know this post started a while ago, but I am going to post my experience with it so it might help someone out now, or in the future.
    First my Sno-Way V, has a system that defaults to the raise position. If you bypass the main relay, with a jumper or screwdriver, the plow will raise, this means that no additional coils, valves, etc are involved in raising the plow. This knowledge can be really helpful if your main relay fails on the road, you put a screwdriver across the contacts, ( yes you will have major arcing etc.) and the plow will raise allowing you to drive home easier.
    Now, for down pressure, an electrically operated valve spool (also sometimes called a coil), is used to redirect the hydraulic flow. Mine is at the top left front (if I remember correctly)Sometimes the spool piece inside sticks or binds up. I removed the wires, put 12v to the coil, it became an electromagnet, so it was fine. Now, remove the valve, put the coil back on, apply 12v the spool inside should move back and forth as you apply and remove the current. mine did not, so carefully, so as to not scratch the insides, push the center spool back and forth, a bit of WD40 to flush out any contamination may be helpful. Reinstall all careful of the o-ring and wire placement.
    This happened to my on the first time out this year and all has been fine since.
    I hope this helps, it's not gospel, just my experience.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2005