1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow way Plow lifts slow

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by michaepr, Feb 4, 2006.

1. michaepr

michaepr Junior Member

Hello, I am trying to find out if anyone knows why a snowway plow (on a 3/4 ton Chevy, with dual battery system, plow has down pressure), would start to lift slow? It is a lexan blade system, full size straight plow SN 250100288, I have had it for 7 years now, and used to get it serviced yearly except for the last two years because the snow way dealer here quit.

I checked the fluid level in the sump, it is a bit more than half full.

How full should it be, and could this be the problem? if it is, does anyone know what type of hydraulic oil goes in it, looked on the snow way website and was nothing there...

Any suggestions would be appreciated

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Snoway makes their own fluid. I suggest if you can't get Snoway, use meyer fluid, the real thing not the aftermarket blue stuff. The reservoir should be about 2/3 full. I don't think low fluid is the reason things slowed down.

You could have a clogged pick up filter. Have you warmed the unit up to make sure there isn't ice clogging the filter? If thawing the unit solves the problem, change the fluid and be done with it. if thawing dosen't solve it you have to clean or change it. To clean it requires removing the tank, I would suggest having a new filter and o-ring handy. It's easy to damage the o-ring removing the tank. If the pump is strong when the filter clogs it will collapse it. If you don't have a manual contact Snoway, they are very supportive. If you can't find parts anywhere else PM me and I'll see if I can help.

Keep us posted.
  3. michaepr

michaepr Junior Member

Thanks Basher

Posted a request with SnowWay, will see what they say, thankyou for the help, if I dont get an adequate reply from them I will definately ask for your assistence.

4. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

It sounds like a clogged filter to me.
  5. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

If it was a clogged filter wouldn't it also angle slow? Just wondering
  6. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

being 7 years old the motor is proably getting tired, and due to the connection system it takes alot of motor power to lift the blade and not much to angle because there is no stress while turnig... I just went through this with a 7.5' MT one... it angles pretty good but has a hard time lifting the blade

BTW if you need a motor send me a PM I have a source for them at below dealer cost, I paid like $120 each for the three I bought
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2006
  7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Yes a clogged filter would cause slow angling as well.
  8. michaepr

michaepr Junior Member

Thank you everyone for the help

I took got the schematics from Snowway and dismantled the motor pump system, it had a clogged filter, cleaned replaced and re assembled everything and it works like a charm, It is the first hydraulic pump system I have ever overhauled, although I have done quite a few auto-transmissions... Quite an interesting rebuild. Plow works great, I found that there also was a continuous hardly visible crack across the whole of the center of the lower mounting bracket, (that was a simple 8 bolt replacement), which also might have been contributing to the slow lifts by offsetting the plow because when It was lifting it would cause the unit to sag about a 10th of an inch with the plow weight and hydraulic pressure.

Thanks again for all of you for steering me in the right direction. prsport