1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Way 29R or Western/SnowEx WideOut

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BlackHelmet, Nov 9, 2015.

1. BlackHelmet

BlackHelmet Junior Member

I would like some input from a few people that have used the Plows I'm considering...
    Pro's / Con's
    Maintenance
    Reliability
    Effectiveness

I'm adding another truck and plow and I am considering the following:
    Sno Way 29R with the power wings
    Western Wide Out
    Snow Ex Power Plow

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What are you currently running now?

Western, Fisher, blizzard, Snowex will all use to same wiring and controller (with a few little exceptions). Western uses poly edges on the wings, and blizzard/Snowex uses steel.
    Western is a chain while blizzard is a direct lift. Snowex is brand new this year, so the only real issue would be the mount....IMO
    I've never used a snoway so I can't say.

3. BlackHelmet

I'm currently using a Snow Dogg straight blade with pro wings. I'll be keeping that truck in service and adding a new truck with whichever of these plows I decide on.
    The mount with the Snow Ex will also be interchangeable with the Western/ect. if needed at a later time.
    Any advantage/disadvantage to the direct lift vs chain lift?

4. dieselss

Your correct about the mounting systems.
    I personally never liked the poly blades on the wings as I found that they wore more then I felt they should.
    The lift....both have pros and con's. And it's been a great debate for years that never gets answered.

5. BlackHelmet

LOL, Well I won't attempt to resolve the direct lift/chain lift saga then and will chalk that up to personal preference!
    I prefer the Snow Ex over the Western so far based on the metal wing edges.

I guess it is between the Snow Ex and the Snow Way at the moment?
    The Snow Way has down Pressure which I think would be helpful on back dragging? The Snow Way is a lighter plow so maybe the down pressure is a mute point though when taking that into consideration?
    I really liked the wireless remote option on the Snow Way so that scores it some points too.

6. dieselss

id say the down pressure is nice, never plowed with it, but played with one at the dealer years ago.
    what i would recommend would be to "kick the tires" on both plows and talk to the dealers and feel them out.

7. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

I've got a 760 Speedwing-860 Speedwing and the 29R. The Snowex look the same as the Blizzards by the pictures. The Speedwings are very good, but the 29r is great in comparison. You will love the 29R controller once you program and get used to it. A slight learning curve to decide exactly what you want it to do-defiantly puts you in the 21st century.

8. BlackHelmet

The speed wings should work about like the power plow/wide out, correct? Very similar I though?

I was impressed by the controller! I thought that might have been the best feature. I liked the down pressure for back dragging. I also liked being able to program pre-sets into the controller.
    Do you think the 29R is easier and faster to use than your speedwings? Also, will it move more snow in less time?

Thanks Guys for the input so far, it is certainly helping with my decision!

9. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

If it were me I'd be looking at the Revolution HD, not the 29R. I like the snoway product, and if I had more dealer support in my area I'd definitely be running one.

10. BlackHelmet

I had not thought about the Revolution HD? Essentially it is just like the 29R but only bigger, correct?
    I guess if I'm buying, might as well go big?

I might be able to get a demo 29R unit for less $$$ which is why I was considering that model?
    My snow plow dealer sells a 3 (Western, SnowEX, and SnoWay) so dealer support should be good for me.

11. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

10' wide vs. 8'-10" wide, 865 lbs. vs. 705 lbs. (better back dragging), And a bigger cutting edge. That's what I'd go with all day. I understand your reasoning for possibly wanting to save money on the 29R, but I've done that **** too many times. "A good deal" isn't always a good deal. I don't ever want to say "I wish I would have bought xxx" instead. Done it too many times.

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You never say what truck? the Snoways don't need the weight to stay on the ground their design keeps them down and they scrape fine without the DP on. DP will scrape cleaner and save on salt usage in the long run. Superior at next morning cleanups with frozen or pack down spill overs or DOT discharge clean up. no more bouncing on the frozen slop.

13. BlackHelmet

It will be on a 2003 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 extended cab short bed. It has the 8.1 with Allison transmission.
    It will have Sumo Springs bump stops on the front (similar to Timbrens)

14. BlackHelmet

Leaning towards the Snow Way so far!!!

15. toyotaboy

toyotaboy Member
    from DE

I have the 29HD 8ft sno way with wireless controller since 2008. just replaced the brain in Oct 2014 and went with the wired pro controller two. With the new controller being wired now you can take it out to the plow and hook it to the plow in front of your truck and work it like a wireless one and then disconnect it from the plow and then hook it up in the cab of your truck so it's as good as being wireless plus $100 or so cheaper than wireless. I have just got the 29R by sno way recently hoping to get some snow to plow this year with it. The setup i have now is both trucks can run either plow on them and both remotes work on either truck. Staying with the same brand of plows (Whatever brand you choice). Maintenance on my 29HD was o rings 1 or 2 times and then the brain in 2014 since new in 2008. Hopefully the 29R will be as good to me to and save me time cleaning up parking lots.

16. toyotaboy

toyotaboy Member
    from DE

And fluids changed before every season but that's just normal maintenance

17. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

If you can get a deal on the 29R- just a bonus. I've always llked demo's, bugs are worked out. Dealers I've bought from have always been good to upgrade any ware items. 29R will defiantly be your most efficient. On a 3/4 ton, not sure you can go any bigger.

18. toyotaboy

toyotaboy Member
    from DE

I thought it was a decent deal and my first demo model also. Dealer was great to work with. Both of my trucks are 3/4 ton trucks. Hopefully looking to try the 29R out when we get snow this year. I can't complain right now with the two setups I have been running just the one truck since 2008 and it's nice to finally have a backup in place now.

19. BlackHelmet

The whole reason I'm setting up this second truck is because I've been plowing without a spare. Scary thought every time I go out!
    I'll hopefully be adding a few new accounts also. But the thought of being done in 10 or 12 hours on a big storm instead of 24 is nice.

20. toyotaboy

toyotaboy Member
    from DE

That's what my thought was to have the extra truck and a couple of buddies phone numbers you can call in a emergency situation is nice too. Let us know what your final decision on the plow brand turns out to be. The plow shops will be getting booked real quick soon.