1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snow tonite

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cutntrim, Dec 28, 1999.

1. cutntrim

cutntrim PlowSite.com - Veteran

We'll probably be out for the first time tonite since they're calling for 2&quot; accumulation plus drifting. I'd rather start the year off easy like that, rather than last year when our first plow was the 12&quot; blizzard in early January. We'll be able to try the wings we put on our 8' Meyers.<p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>

2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

12&quot; blizzard, is that what you Canucks consider a Blizzard.<br>In The US I would be laughed off the road if I considered 12&quot; a blizzard. Here we need at least 18&quot;<br>

3. cutntrim

Ha.Ha.Ha. You're a funny guy Sully, I like you, that's why I'm going to kill you last.

4. cutntrim

A &quot;blizzard&quot; is a storm with an air temperature of at least -18C producing significant snowfall accumulation and severe windchill values. Trust me...it was a blizzard.

5. ChucksChevyPages

ChucksChevyPages Guest

Blizzard describes the conditions.<br>Here it is, straight from The Weather Channel. <br>I quote:<br> &quot;Blizzards <br>Blizzards are characterized by low temperatures (usually below 20 degrees Fahrenheit) and accompanied by winds that are at least 35 mph or greater, there must also be sufficient falling and/or blowing snow in the air that will frequently reduce visibility to 1/4 mile or less for a duration of at least 3 hours. <p>A severe blizzard is considered to have temperatures near or below 10 degrees Fahrenheit, winds exceeding 45 mph, and visibility reduced by snow to near zero. <p>Blizzard conditions often develop on the northwest side of an intense storm system The difference between the lower pressure in the storm and the higher pressure to the west creates a tight pressure gradient, which in turn results in very strong winds. <p>These winds combine with snow and blowing snow to produce extreme conditions. Storm systems powerful enough to cause blizzards usually form when the jet stream dips far to the south, allowing cold air from the north to clash with warm air from the south. <p>With the colder and drier polar air comes atmospheric temperatures cold enough for the development of snow, sleet, or freezing rain. <p>The Dakotas and parts of Minnesota were pounded by a succession of blizzards in the winter of 1996-1997. With few trees or other obstructions to reduce wind and blowing snow, this part of the country is particularly vulnerable to blizzards. &quot; End quote.<p>Everyone clear on what blizzard conditions are now? ;&gt;)<p>~Chuck Smith<p><p>----------<br>Chuck's Chevy Truck Pages - Snowplowing Central<br>http://members.aol.com/csmith669/plowcentral.html

6. plowking35

from SE CT

Yes it was meant to be a funny post, tounge in cheek reply to the 2&quot; minimum cutandtrim mentioned in his last post.<br>We do medical facilities that require no accumulation, they need a black and wet policy, so we start work at the first flake, we preapply our coated granular anti/de-icers, then start plowing when about 1/2 has accumulated. We dont set the policies, we just cash in on them. We get twice the plow time as my competition, and that means the same income with 1/2 the accounts.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

7. ChucksChevyPages

ChucksChevyPages Guest

Speaking of deicing and anti-icing, there's another article in this months Issue of The Landsculptor. Part of the Snowfighter series. Great info.<br>Go to www.landscape.org/ and click on The Landsculptor. Scroll the contents in the left frame, for snowfighters.<p>~Chuck Smith<br><p>----------<br>Chuck's Chevy Truck Pages - Snowplowing Central<br>http://members.aol.com/csmith669/plowcentral.html

8. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

The Northeast is stuck in a bad weather pattern for snow. We have the cold temps required for snow, but the jet stream is in the wrong posistion. There are records falling all over maine, this may be the first december the parts of maine haven't recieved any snow yet. Lets hope the weather pattern changes so the the people in the northeast can see some snow.<p>Geoff

9. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

Glad you guys have got what a blizzard is , figured out! I,m on my 4th straight day of plowing here in Nova Scotia. MONEY SNOW 2&quot; or less, light, and fuffy, and temps in the day time around frezing so the lots come out black, eat your hearts out guys! May you all be so lucky in 2000!

10. SLSNursery

SLSNursery PlowSite.com Veteran

Well, here in Connecticut I have been watching the weather channel (evidently not as much as Chuck, though!!!), looking for any sign of the white stuff. None yet, but at least the plows are all painted and ready to go.<p>----------<br>Phil Grande - Soundview Landscape Supply<br>http://members.aol.com/scagrider

11. ADM Services

ADM Services Junior Member

Well, we pushed for the first time last night as well. It was a light steady snow. Started in the morning just after the am rush hour, and snowed for about six hours until tapering off to flurries. <br>We salted during the day, then after the pm rush we hit it. <br>Everthing went great considering we are short handed. We have guys out of town visting family (its the holiday season yah know).<br>Can't wait for the next batch of snow, although there is nothing in sight yet. <p>Talk to ya later,<br>Andy<br>ADM

12. jeffclc

jeffclc Guest

I went out plowing for about 7 hours yesterday morning. We have had snow for the last three days, an inch or so at a time that required salting. Yesterday morning, at around 3:00am I went out and dropped the plow. I had all the commercials done by around 8:00, plowed and salted, and finished with the residentials around 10:00 or so. There were about 2-3&quot; in most places. Looks like we will get a break fron winter till after Y2K.<p>We also had the oppertunity to drop some salt right after Thanksgiving. The total salting oppertunities number 4. Not too bad. So the score is Salting 4, Plowing 1. Who will win the race this season???<p>On another note, I picked up a job plowing and salting a small lot for an offoce. I have a signed contract. I salted them the frst time, around Thanksgiving, and showed up Monday morning around 4:00am, and found another competitor doing the lot. I know that this was the guy that did the lot last season, because the building owner told me who was doing it, and that they were not satisfied with him. I didn't stop and confront him, I simply drove on, and made a quick phone call to the building's owner ater in the day, and she had told me that they were never contacted by the old co. and that they had no contract. The old co. had just assumed that they had the job again this season. She called to inform them that their services were no longer needed. <p>Some dirty thoughts had crossed my mind, on how I could get even with the guy who swept in under me. There was a brand new delivery van that belongs to the company that owns the building parked in the lot, and I had thoughts of backing up to it and blasting it with the salter, but I'm not like that. Besides, you never know who is watching...<p>Don't worry, you guys will get some white stuff in your area soon, probally before July 4!!!!!!!<br>

13. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Mentor, Angel
    from Chicago

I wasn't the first one on the forum to plow, but I was one of the first. I plowed December 17th and posted it on the old forum with a picture on my site to prove it. We have had several dustings since, but not enough to actually plow. Happy Y2K everyone.<p>----------<br>Eric@ELM<br>http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/index.html

14. plowking35

from SE CT

To Jeffclc:<br>Did you charge for the salting? I would, the ofice people dont have to pay the other guy, since he wasnt contracted to perform services for them, and you were. They did the service, but you can get paid.<br>I had a case where the convelescent center I plow is next to a school that the city plows, well at the time they subbed out the salting. The sub went and salted my lot by mistake, but I billed the convelescent center and got paid. try it, you have nothing to lose.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

15. paul

paul PlowSite.com Veteran

Hi Guys & Gals<br>So far this season haven't had to drop the plow thanks to our new prewet system, have had to shovel walks. three light snows and total of about 1.5&quot; of snow to date. <p>I've been away for the last 15 days in Texas deer hunting with my daughter score daughter 1 deer 8 point buck 140 class- dad 0. Any way nice new fourm here now. No snow of any amount and the first is almost here next checks coming soon, Don't you uys love it!!<p>paul

16. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

AKRON OHIO HERE WE HAD A TWO INCH SNOW AND A FOUR INCH SNOW THIS WEEK THEY WERE THE FIRST PLOWABLE AMOUNT FOR THIS SEASON

17. JJ Lawn

JJ Lawn Junior Member

Snow....what's that? <p>Down here in Sunny Arkansas we are having a heat wave and the temp today will be in the mid 70's. So while ya'll are out there freezing your butts off plowing snow, I'll be out cutting grass in short sleeve shirts.<p>But just in case things turn for the worst around here I will be prepaired.....Lot of good info in this forum. Keep up the good work...and keep the snow. :)<p><p>----------<br>Jim.....from Fouke, Arkansas (Home of the Boggy Creek Monster)<br>

18. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Mentor, Angel
    from Chicago

I had to bring up Chucks blizzard definition again. Reading this brought up some old memories. This thread was started 11 months ago, but it seems like less. :)

Snow flurries for the next 5 days around Chicago. Mother Nature is just teasing us.

19. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

Thanks for bringing it up.

Same "teaser" weather here.

Hey, nice picture of you! (Even if it IS from the back)

20. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

If we DO keep score, wanna lay odds on who'll win ??