1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snow tires

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by northeast, Nov 29, 2000.

1. northeast

northeast Junior Member

I have checked local tire dealers for a good aggressive
    snow tire,not impressed. Can someone tell me a good tire for plowing.I am in Maine so I am dealing with all types of
    winter conditions.Thanks for any help. NorthEast

2. ojonesy

ojonesy Junior Member

try cooper discoverer stt...its about as aggressive as you can get. next step, tire chains.

3. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Cooper Weathermasters! They will out push the much praised and overpriced Hakkapellita (sp). I know that from experience, we're running Weathermasters on three trucks now, excellent traction, reasonable price and they last pretty good for an aggressive tire.

4. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

I've got BFGoodrich Mud Terrains on mine right now. So far, they've worked really well in the little amount of snow we've had. I guess they'll get the real test when there's 16-inches of it on the ground.

-Tim

5. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

my vote is B F G allterrain TA's, you don't want a big agressive mud tread for awesome snow traction. you need a tire with alot of siping, one that actually compacts the snow and uses it for traction rather than a mud tire that flings it away.also generally a wide tire is not the way to go for snow traction you want a narrow tire that gives you the most contact pressure per square inch.
    dan

6. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

Fot 16" Cooper Weathermasters as mentioned are probably your best bet. They bite hard and are real cheap. ($300 for 4 mounted, balanced, stems, tax, etc.)

For 15" or course Bridgestone Blizzak WS-15.

7. Michael F

Michael F Senior Member

I run futura's from Pepboys, second set, I had coppers on another truck, they didn't hold up ( 12,000 mi), I just plowed first snow fall with the set on this truck, can't belive difference over stock tires that were on it Gerneral M&S, I have also found going to narrower tires(235/85/ R 16)makes a huge difference.

8. cowboy

cowboy Member

Anybody used Cooper ST or LT tires? I've been looking into those.

Weathermaster, huh?they just didn't seem beefy enough for snow, from the pictures on the cooper site. You guys running them are happy though eh?

-Adam

9. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I have Cooper Discover CTD for rear, more agressive tread. They work so well in fact that 4 wd is rarley needed. In front I have Cooper Discover A/T. They are less agressive but wear very well, especially on the front of a IFS gm truck.We run 235/85/16
    Dino

10. cowboy

cowboy Member

CTD looks like a pretty serious tire, how much do they cost ya (if you don't mind me asking)? ANd about how many miles are you getting on them?

-Adam

11. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

Long-life and pavement traction are opposites in tires.

12. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

I bought a set of these in 97, 4 for $580 mount and balanced 235/85r16. They lasted 30k miles using them year round. I would highly recommend over the SST, the CTD will still give you decent wet traction even when worn more than 1/2 way-the SST have a wear bar that appears when worn half way which causes the tire to slip more than it should. Big drawback to CTD, very noisy and lumpy ride.

Last month I bought 4 Dunlop Rover R/Ts I have yet to plow with them, very aggressive tread but quiet on the road. Time will tell.

13. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

I use re-molds, they were called re-treads mounted on their own rims. Super cheap, 215 85 16 about US$ 45.00 each. I have them studded. In Maine you must get a lot of snow like ours in Nova Scotia, WET, turns to ice at the frist spin of a wheel, the studs give that little extra bit of traction.
    If you're close to the New Brunswick border you might want to check on our side for prices your dollar is worth 1.50 CDN. These tires are very soft and wear VERY quickly on pavement, but give better traction in snow then any NEW tire I have ever tried from Goodyear to BFG to Michelin. If you don't put too many highway miles on them and take them off in the spring they'll last 2 seasons plowing.
    A GOOD snowtire won't last long in warm weather on pavement, and a mud tire doesn't mean it will be good in snow. A narrower tire will go through more snow than a wide one, so instead of 245 75 16, go with 215 85 18 same diameter.
    Save your hard earned dollars for a quality set on road tires like Michelins for summer use, and highway miles

Bill

14. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

Studs are illegal here, but I know OF a few guys who still run 'em.

15. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

There is a window where you can legally use studs here, but most res customers around here are the types who like to seal, and otherwisw make the driveway always look good so use of studs on res will almost surely cost you a customer. Something to keep in mind.

16. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

That's true, Bill.

The drawback cited by those who use studs is on residential driveways being marked up from spinning tires.

17. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I paid about 125 each for the CTD, and 108 each for the AT.
    I have 10K on the CTD and they show very little wear.
    They are a little noisy, but traction is great in snow and mud.
    Dino