1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow tires?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BRUNSWICK CONCRETE, Dec 17, 2002.

1. BRUNSWICK CONCRETE

BRUNSWICK CONCRETE Member

What do you guys use? How many use studded tires?:waving:

Looking at replacing 255/85/16 BFG MT with a true sno tire.
    The go on a 97 F350 PSD ,srw,xl,regcab,ranchand rear bumper.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2002
  2. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg Senior Member

Do a search. It was discussed recently.

3. BRUNSWICK CONCRETE

Any body using the Blizzak w965 235/85/16

did a search and see only bfg's and cooper's with some ratings.Both have mixed reviews from everyone.

4. long0

long0 Senior Member

I put 245/75/16's on my girlfriends truck last year. Overall, I don't think they are very good tires. First, they only lasted about 9,000 miles. If you are only driving on snowpacked and ice, they would be work fine. Pavement (wet or dry), the truck felt very loose, kinda like the sidewalls were moving as you went around a corner. Due to the low mileage we got out of them, I won't be getting another set.

Andy

5. BRUNSWICK CONCRETE

Well i decided on Nokian Hakkapeliitta 10lt 235/85/16 E

The get the best report card in severe snow&ice service.:waving:

6. BRUNSWICK CONCRETE

Now that i got the 16 tires squared away, now i need a plow for our own off-road plowing onsite. Any suggestions? I'm leaning towards a Fisher 8' HD.Love the Fishstick.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2002
  7. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

Find a dealer for ETS tires in New Brunswick. They're Re molds made in Nova Scotia by the largest tire re-manufacturer in North America, they are the BEST snow tire you can buy at 1/2 the price of a new Name Brand. A studded 245 65 16 runs about 90 CDN., mounted and balanced.
    Also check out their Green Diamond tires they're re-molds with Carborundum grit in the rubber I bought a pair for my wife SUV they're the same price as studded ETS tires. As the tire wears the grit comes to the surface, they stop as well as studs on ice, stop a better then studs on wet pavement, and aren't as noisy.
    By the way re-molds aren't like a regular re-treaded tire, the tire is put back into a mold and has new rubber bonded from bead to bead, I've bought about 20 sets in the last 10 years or so, and have never had a problem.
    I run 215 85 16 s studded on my Dodge 2500, the narrower tire give better traction in snow