1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snow tires

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Kirby ent, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Kirby ent

Kirby ent Member

I went a tire shop today to get the LT 235 75 15 in a michelin ice latitude. The most knowledgeable guy told me there is no way those tires or any other winter tire in a 15 inch is going to take that load?

He said I must move in to a 16 inch and 10 ply.

Anyone have any suggestions what to do?

Thanks Mike

2. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

What are you trying to put these tires on?

3. MAR4CARS

MAR4CARS Senior Member

What is the tire load rating? Whats it going on and what is the vehicles load capacity? What is your load?

4. Kirby ent

Kirby ent Member

Sorry, yes forgot to say, toolcat 8000 lbs

5. MAR4CARS

MAR4CARS Senior Member

Never looked at a toolcat cant help you there

6. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

How are you using the Toolcat, blowing or lifting? What is the bolt pattern on the machine? If it is the same as a 3/4 ton truck, just move up to a 16" that fit and use winter tires rated for them. Did you look up the specs on the tires?

7. Kirby ent

Kirby ent Member

both blowing and lifting. the toolcat comes with 15 inch rims I would prefer to not move up
    in size

8. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

Your rims from the Toolcat may not even be able to mount regular truck tires. You need to find out if the rim type and bead shape is different between the off road tires and the truck tires. I don't know what size you are currently running but you can try looking for snow tires for a skid steer. There may be posts about putting truck tires on skid steers if you search around. I think you will need to step up to LT tires to get more load. LT245/75R16 I would guess? What tire sizes options does the Toolcat have?
    Do you have a spare set of rims?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  9. Kirby ent

Kirby ent Member

Yes I have a spare set and I also read somewhere that truck tires will fit the stock toolcat rims.

10. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

11. Kirby ent

Kirby ent Member