1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Tires

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Michael M, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Michael M

Michael M Member

What do you guys feel are the best snow tires? I have Firestone Transforces and they suck!!! I am in the market for some new ones. Thanks!
  2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Blizzak Tires
  3. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

too bad to hear that they suck, because i just put a set on last year. mine have done good so far...i think we put about 200 miles on them in the past year...
  4. Blazin

Blazin Senior Member

Wintermasters are good. Cooper Discovers are awesome. Courser OTDs are the off brand / no name version of the Coopers, they work excellent too. I am running a set of studded Nokian Hawkapalitas on my 86 K 2500 this years because I got a smokin deal on an almost brand new set of four, $200. I run one of the above on the front of my 79 K30 and a set of recap snows on the back duals.
  5. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

i just put goodyear wrangler slient armor on both of my trucks the dum 235-85r16 and pickup 265-75r16
  6. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

I like the Cooper Discoverers a lot, push very well, wear ok.
    I also really liked a set of Dunlop Rover RVXT in 255/85/16 on my 97 F350. Very skinny, aggressive lugs with lots of sipes and blocks. Awesome traction, and pretty tall too. They were really pretty quite too. I highly recommend them and will likely buy another set for my Dodge if I can find them in a 17".
    Just my .02
  7. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

Bridgestone Blizzacks for icy conditions...They will ware a bit faster because of the softer rubber.
    But I rate them #1
  8. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

I run the cooper discoverer LT's in 8ply. They bite down great and wear quite well, no cupping yet. They are not noisy either, though with the lug pattern you would think they would be. A friend of mine uses Cooper discoverer STT, he loves them but the cost some serious $$. However, they dig like there is no tomorrow and wear pretty good.
  9. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I run B.F.G.s all-terrains on my 99 superduty and love them great in the mud and snow.
  10. KINNCO

KINNCO Senior Member

I run BFG's as well love them! Great traction and clean out well
  11. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

1. bfg at/ko's
    2. revo's
  12. schuitb

schuitb Member

BFG Rugged terrain

I just replaced my tires with the same tires! These tires were great to me and lasted a long time.. Came with the truck and I put on 75000 kms with them. tymusic
  13. dmjr77

dmjr77 Senior Member

Try the Cooper MSR's. I have 4 sets of them (1 for each truck, plus my suburban mounted on steel wheels for easy change over). I have had great luck with them in the snow.
  14. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

I just put a set of NITTO TERRA GRAPPLER's on. Never run 'em before so don't know what to expect.
  15. tire sipe

I've used Yokahama and Pirelli Scorpions. Great traction and wore fast.
    BFGs for the past 6yrs and really like them.

Price is a downside for BFGs and apparently there is little profit margin
    so discounts are few. Greatly improved performance by siping ( fine slits)
    thru Discount Tire.
    The edge tread lugs are good for traction and poor for wear and dry road use.

I wanted to find 16inch tall tires and found that the tread is narrower with
    Coopers. And they come siped.
    Getting used to 65lbs of pressure (max 80) and think these are more suited
    for my truck.

And that is key-- your truck may need something different then mine.
    good to hear other opinions.
    And what states still permit studs ?? Not Michigan.
  16. dmjr77

dmjr77 Senior Member

New Hampshire permits studs, but must be removed by April 1st.
  17. ppease

ppease Member
    from Maine

Had two sets of BFG AT's on my old truck. Great tires, good in snow when new. I just put on General Grabber AT2s on my current truck. I went tall and skinny - LT235/85R16. They are studded. The tread is similar to BFG AT's, maybe better for snow. They were much cheaper than the BFGs, and studdable. Hopefully it will snow soon, so I can report back.
  18. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Same in NY
  19. tire pressure

what tire pressures are you running.
    my first year with 235/85-16 and I am running 65psi to start.
    Seems okay but havent tried anything else, yet
  20. dbowden18

dbowden18 Junior Member
    from maine

goodyear workhorse extra grip