1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Tires

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Oasis, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

Hi guys,
    I was wondering.... I have all seasonal tires on my Chevy and I was told that I may have problems with traction while plowing and that I should go to a snow tire. Does anyone have thoughts on this and if so what snow tire is advised. Thanks.
  2. Ryan03

Ryan03 Junior Member

Whether or not your tires will get the job done depends on what type of all seasons you have, and what type of plowing you do. Here are 3 tires that are used by some people on this site, not saying go out and buy em, just gives you a general idea of what you should be looking for in a plowing tire. Hope this helps, BF Goodrich Radial All Terrain TKO, Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor, Bridgestone Dueller Revo. Good Luck.:waving:
  3. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

I have run Cooper M/S for years......

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

If your dodge has 20" tires you better get rid of them. Your traction will be terrible exp. because of the width of the tire rim combination. Call around and find some 17" rim and tires from the local tire shops, look in the tri ads for a good deal. When shoping for a tire look for somthing narrow and with medium agrresiveness. Ps add weight to the rear for traction and balast.
  5. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

thankfully my ram has 17" tires... most importantly though im concerned about the Chevy...
  6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I'd recommend a dedicated snow tire rather than an All Seasonal Radial. With the All Seasonals, it's like saying "Well, I kind of want this but kind of that, too". No, with plowing, there is no room for ambiguity. The down side is that true snow tires do not last long on dry pavement, due to the design and make.

Personally, I have always run Cooper Discoverer M&S tires. The problem with them as well as any snow tire, is that they start to wear as soon as you start using them and become less effective as they wear.

Oh, yeah, I have set of six Cooper Discoverer M&S tires with over half the tread left that I'll sell you;) .
  7. whitehat55

whitehat55 Junior Member
    from MA

I run BFG T/A KO - 265/75/16 I run them on an `03 chevy 2500HD. Our winters are often times moderate at best, so I don't bother spending on a dedicated snow tire. We do sometimes get good snowfall and these tires are amazing in snow for being so good on pavement. They are the only tire I will buy from now on which is not often cause they wear very well. Good luck
  8. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

I have a ford 250 that i've run bfg at ko's on. They get pretty good mileage for the type of tire. I also learned that the more rotating you do, the longer they will last. The first set got about 50,000 but the second set lasted much longer. I now have just under 200,000 on the truck.

I have a ford f350 at work that I just put a set of michelin ltx ms on. My mechanics swear by these tires. They run them on there personal vehicles, said they are a very good tire.

So those would be my recommendations.
  9. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

The Cooper ATR is very popular around here for plowing.
    I have tried BFG M/T and was not impressed. I have had the Michelin LTX M/S, and the BFG Rugged Trail T/A they are some of the worst tires I have ever owned for anything but dry pavement. I have gotten stuck in 2wd in wet grass with both of those POS tires.
    The Cooper ATR's allow me to plow in 2wd where previously I needed 4wd, thats how good they are in snow. I have heard good reviews on the Discoverer Revos too but I have not tried them. Lastly IMO the skinnier the tire, the better for plowing snow, I use a 235/85/16.
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  10. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I tried the stock tires and found they did perform poor without ballast. I had them sipped and they became much better. With the Diesel you'll need allot of ballast to counter weight that plow and engine. I suggest to try them along with less air in them that you would tow with. Stock is around 80 PSI out back:eek: . If you don't run a sander, go down to 50 Max out back and add run 8-900 pounds of sand bags. If your still unhappy, get some Nokian snow tires and you'll never look back. I'm happy with stock now but when they do wear out I'll be running studded Nokians so I'll be unstoppable

Good luck
  11. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

the problem with the cooper ATRs is for that truck which i believe you wanna put 265-75r16 load range E the tires installe dwill be close to $800.00 i run Goodyear wrangler atd2 26575r16 load range E andd they cost me 625.00 ou thte door at sams club