1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Tires

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Gicon, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

I am about to take the plunge into 4 brand new BF Goodrich Mud All Terrains. Any opinions either good or bad with your thoughts on these tires, or better tires out there on the market??

2. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

Go with the AT and not the MT for a snow tire. The BFG AT is the best all around tire for a truck I think if your not into winter tires and summer tires

3. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Joe, are those NOT the Mud Terrains??? Are they just the All Terrains??? These would be used solely for winter time

4. MO TOYS

MO TOYS Senior Member

I just bought the dakota ats i dont know how they are in the snow but i will let you know also a lot cheaper

5. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

Unless you go off road dont get mud tires they too noisy

6. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Hey Turfmower, I am not a rocket scientist but are you telling me that 4 rubber tires can produce more noice than the sound of grinding marbles in an engine (the sweet sound of a diesel motor) I cant hear too much above and beyond the noise my motor makes, and if tires are louder than that, than I think im going to have some hearing problems come April...

7. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Mud Terrain type tires lack siping, the tiny little slits cut into the tread block. These slits are what give the tire its grip on hardpack snow and ice. They allow the tire to flex more and thereby put more of a footprint on the slick ground.

Mud Terrain tires have larger, heavier tread lugs due to the lack of this siping. This is done for strength in offroad conditions, think along the lines of tires spinning like crazy in the mud and then hitting a good sized rock! The large open voids between the tread blocks are great for self-cleaning in the sticky mud... something you won't need in snow. Those same large spaces are what make the tires 'howl' driving down the road, depending on the truck it may or may not be objectionable.

As cool looking as they are, MT's are definately not snow tires. You will be far happier with the BFG AT/KO's for snow and general use for that matter. The MT's are for offroading, or for 'image' on the street.

BTW the AT's have a Severe Snow Service certification.

Also consider other tires that have been mentioned on the board (do a search on tires here, you will have a lot of hits). I'd say the most popular ones are the BFG's and the Cooper Discover M+S... but lets be realistic, if they are dedicated snow tires only, you probably can't go wrong with just about any AT/M+S tire in good condition.

8. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

That why I have a Duamax and not a Powerstroke.

9. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

For a snow only tire go with the Blizzaks.

10. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

ya mud tires do o.k. but for best traction you want lots of small rubber blocks with lots of siping contacting the road serface.

just think . if you took a 1/2" size block of rubber and rolled it over a surface you would have 1 contact patch. take that same block of rubber and just sipe it 3-4 times. this breaks up the block and acts like 3-4 smaller blocks. then if you took and cut groves in it it works even better.

so yes go get some good a/t tires with lots of siping in them. blizzaks are payup in snowy / ice places.

all so look in to greendiamond tires. thay are ( not ) a recap. but a full remold just like a new tire is made. thay have thousands of little bitts of carbide in them and lots of sipping in them also. http://greendiamondtire.com/

Last edited: Sep 20, 2006
  11. Brannick's Snow

Brannick's Snow Member
    from ohio

BFG all terrain ko's 305 65r18 260.00 each:confused: :eek: :dizzy:
    replacement for F350

12. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

I have the Bridgetsone Dueller Revo's on my GMC, they are the best tires, and i would never switch. I switched from my stock Firestone A/T and it's like night and day. I am going to purchase another set for my Ford. Check Tire Rack, the Revo's have the best rating for snow.... Also, do a search for "tires" and you will see that many people have the same opinion as me!

13. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

just make sure you get the load E version if you go with the bf's (Size:LT265/70R17/E 121R Sidewall:RWL MSPN:55086 ) otherwise the standard stock one is a load C.

If your just looking for a winter tire, I have the coopers, they are the siping king! In a perfect world I would run the BF's summer and Coop's winter.

14. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Turf, I am very sorry to hear the bad news. I feel bad for you that you made the wrong choice in your diesel truck purchase. I mourn your bad decision. Hopefully we can meet up one day.....in the Ford Forum. Good luck to you....

15. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Don't worry about him, he's doing just fine with this D-Max. He doesn't need any problems from 6.0 Powerstrokes. ;)

For designated snow tires, go with Bridgestone Blizzaks. For something you want to run all year round that is great in the snow, BFG ATs are awesome.

16. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

I had the BFG AT and they worked decent. However, just put TOYO's on at belle tire. Can't wait to try them in the snow

17. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

lol..... i would love a Duramax!

18. AlaskaSnow82

AlaskaSnow82 Junior Member

I use Hankook MT

I will never use anythig other. These are a impressive MT tire and I don't get any problems that most people complain about on a MT. Now after researching alittle on the different MT tires I came to the conclusion why I have such success with the Hankook tire is that Hankook uses a extremely soft rubber in their tires, where other brands use a more thick and dense rubber, so when its cold it the rubber almost freezes and is actually more slippery. Because of the soft rubber used in hankook u get a awsome grip to the surface in snow and ice. I also have tried single, dual and even triple studding my tires, and of course by triple studding ur tries I got EXTREME traction on Icy/Snowy conditions, but after 2 season u need to restud them and then u leave youraself little room to restud on each lug. So I found going with a Dual Studded tires still gives you awsome traction you leave yourself plenty of freash space on each lug to restudd later on down the road.

The only downfall to these tires is that the tread wears fast in summer due to the soft rubber. But for me I dont have that problem since I use them only in winter time now.

IMO yes tires that are sipped probly work good, but the biggest problem I see with those is the treads get full of snow and then ur traction get cut down alot. With a MT tire you get impressive traction along with the chewing power of your lugs not getting packed full of snow. For daily driving around town Yes sipped tires are good, but for PLlowing deep snow and driving in conditions where u have to go thru multiple inches of snow all the time you better off with the MT.

One new thing I am gonna try this year just to see if it make any differense is to sip some of the lugs on my MT tires to see if it improves them anymore then they are already capable of doing. I am not knocking Sipped tires in any shape, I just don't think they are the best choice for a snowplow truck.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2006
  19. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

The other thing about M/Ts, though, is that they usually wear very inefficiently on the dry pavement, so it's either A/Ts all year round, or it's Blizzaks in the winter and All Seasons during the rest of the year.

20. phatsat67

phatsat67 Junior Member
    from indiana

Toyo open country A/T. They do nicely in the snow and they are 285's on my truck. Only got stuck once when my dad slid the truck down a 30 degree bank in 22 inches of snow.