1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Tires

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JVS, Dec 28, 2000.

1. JVS

JVS Junior Member

I have 2 trucks I need to re tire for snow use. Can anyone recommend snow tires. Makes models, where etc... I have a 93 Ford F-250 & a 95 Fored F-250.
    If this question has been discussed elswhere please accept my apology.
    Joe

2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

You should be able to do a search under snow tires and get a good amount of info there.
    I personally like the cooper line of tires.
    Dino

3. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers Member

I use BF Goodwrench tires on all the trucks. They are excellent tires and havn't had any complaints yet.

4. IRISH

IRISH Junior Member

I will go with plowking on that those coopers seem to be the tire cooper wintermaster or cooper discovery STT are what we run and have 1 set for 5 yrs now and still working good

5. SCL

SCL Senior Member

I put a set of Bridgestone Brigadiers on my one ton dump. Price was reasonable and man is this an aggressive tire. My truck is 4x2 and I haven'thad any problems since install.

6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Mentor, Angel
    from Chicago

I put a set of Good Year Wranglers on my 97 HD F250. They have a tread on the outside of the tire for about 1" that almost is like a regular tread, but the rest of it is a snow tire tread. They are as quiet as a regular tread, but will grab good enough so I was able to plow most driveways in 2 wheel drive in the 18" blizzard we had last January. These driveways were plowed 3 times, so I took off an average of 6" each plowing. These 16" tires were $99.95 each at Sams Wholesale Club.

7. Michael F

Michael F Senior Member

Futura, from pepboys, bought a set this fall, $ 425, mounted, installed, balanced, ect. that price includes tax. Second set, sold first ones on truck, after two years were still in excellent shape. Most important thing is to get narrow tires sounds messed up, but they work 100X better than the stock tires that came from Chevy. Had a set of Coppers SST, a few years back on toyota pickup, the were terrible in snow & didn't hold up, thats just my experience with them.

[Edited by Michael Fronczak on 12-28-2000 at 11:31 AM]

8. cowboy

cowboy Member

Cooper Weathermasters,
    that seems to be the general tire on the forum, and last week I saw them in action, my cousin has them on his trucks (personal trucks) and we went out snowmobiling, cut through the snow like a champ, never any tire slippage, and the roads were pretty nasty.

9. Kevin T

Kevin T Junior Member

B.F. Goodrich all terrains all the way....by far the best tire out there.

10. Psyclopse

Psyclopse Member

I've been getting the Chaparels (spelling?)from the local Big R store. They seem to be pretty good and didn't cost very much. I'd like to try a set of Coopers next so I can see why everyone likes them. I think I have a Cooper dealer near here somewhere.

11. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

I had Cooper Discoverer CTDs great traction but excessively noisy, after they wore out (3 years 30k year-round use) I replaced them with Dunlop R/T (whats there now) also aggressive tread but quiet like a street tire. So far they served me well (2 months).

12. jason2

jason2 PlowSite.com Veteran

I run BFG AT's. I like them, but want to try an aggresive mud tire. I own a 72' Jeep Commando with a spring over and 33" Super Swampers. Those swampers are incredible in deep snow. I can see that they wouldn't be any better than an all terrain in light snow, but when you get into the really deep stuff, the huge voids between the lugs sheds the snow very well, letting the tire bite in.

For my plow truck I don't want to go to anything as radical as a super swamper but am thinking about some BFG MT's for next year. I plow a few driveways out in the woods which are long and narrow. No gravel or pavement, just two worn down ruts from where the people drive. These are a nightmare to plow, and the AT's just don't grip. The relatively small voids fill in and you basically have a slick. They are great on lot's and pavement, but don't cut it out off the beaten path.

Anybody out there running mud tires?

13. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

think about what you are saying when you want a mud tire to cut through deep snow. there should be no deep snow cuz we
    are plowing it aren't we?
    narrow tires work better cuz of the higher contact presures they have with the pavement surface.
    my choice is B.F. goodrich all terrains.
    remember to put the plow down when plowing.
    gotta plow tonight 4-6 coming
    dan

14. cowboy

cowboy Member

well from a previous discussion you don't want a mudder because it is just going to throw the snow all over the place and if there is ice underneath then there is no traction, want something that can use the snow as traction, if that makes any sense?

BFG A/T are good tires I have them in my truck, not good for dry stopping with no load though <g>

really any semi-aggresive tire would be good, just go with a brand wiht a good reputation, I know that Cooper, BFG and Wrangler.
    this site lists American&Union made tires, if that is important to you:
    http://www.unionlabel.org/dobuy/tires.htm

PS-the tires that came with my 81 Chevy were sears trail handlers and they did good in the snow, suprisingly good. Though they are cracking and the previous owner didn't put them on that long ago.

15. jason2

jason2 PlowSite.com Veteran

Dyna Plow,

Point well taken. I shouldn't be driving through deep snow to plow. But I get a few calls from people who don't want their drives plowed on a regular basis. By the time they do call I have a mess to deal with. I charge them accordingly to clean up the mess. In these situations a mud tire might work better than a all terrain. I agree that the narrower the tire the better. And Interco does offer the super swamper in a 34x9.5x16.5, which is narrower than BFG's narrowest 16.5. The narrowest BFG I can get in AT or MT is a 33x12.5.16.5 which I already have.

Might put a locker in the rear, then I won't have to worry about all terrain's versus mud terrains. For now I'll stick with my AT's they work great on the pavement where I do spend most of my time plowing.

Send me some of that snow :)

16. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

i have 30-10.5-15 super swamper thornbirds on my 2 trucks, love them and they wear like iron,they are a little noisy above 45

17. NEAL

NEAL Member

NEVER TRIED THE WEATERMASTERS EVERYONE TALKS ABOUY BUT I CAN SAY FROM EXPERIENCE THAT THE SKINNY TIRES ARE THE WAY TO GO FOR SURE!

JASON2 I THINK YOU MIGHT WANT TO RECONSIDER USING A LOCKER THEY DONT TAKE TO KINDLY TO DRIVINGON SNOW COVERED ROADS GOING FROM JOB TO JOB. AN OPEN DIFF IS BEST.UNLESS OF CORSE YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT AN ARB AIR LOCKER THAT WOULD BE OK.

18. JVS

JVS Junior Member

Thanks for all the info...

Joe

19. jrblawncare

jrblawncare Senior Member

This looks like a place to bring this up.....what kind of tire pressure are you guys running with ? I have about 45 psi in my 16" tires on my 3/4 ton.I can put up to 80 psi in them but that seem a bit much.What do you think works better a softer or harder tire?Thanks JRB

20. Psyclopse

Psyclopse Member

I don't change my tire pressure any from normal, I haven't really had a need to so far. I check my trucks over after every storm and tire pressure is checked and maintained at the tire's recommended pressure. Keep in mind that this jus happens to work for me with the tires I have, I know of alot of people to air-down their tires, and even a couple who air-up.

As far as a locker goes, an ARB is the way to go if you have the money. It'll give you the best of both worlds and helps a ton on the slick stuff. My old Chevy is ARB equipped and it'll out-push any of my other trucks on ice.