1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Tires ... ??

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Bagger, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Bagger

Bagger Member
    from CT

Well, 3rd time plowing with the new 2010 Ram 1500 Laramie. The first couple times were smallish snows .... 4-6 inch stuff. Worked great. Today was different !

We had over 2 feet here at my house in CT with wind causing drifts much higher. Took me 40 minutes to shovel my way 30 feet to the truck with snow mid thigh and drifiting.

Anyway, on the 3rd pass at the top of the driveway, I got the truck high sided on the frame and stuck sideways across my driveway on a slope. An hour of digging did not work. Another 30 minutes of digging did not work either. Finally, after lunch, I got the truck out shoveling all around and underneath.

I gotta tell ya ... those 20" all season tires suck BIG time. I've plowed with many different trucks over 25 years and never had this much of a problem. Yeah, this was epic snow, but still .... I'd expect to be able to back up the truck.

Wondering if someone would recommend different tires for the truck? These oems ride well and are quiet, but suck in deep snow.

Waiting for some ideas. Thanx.
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Hakkapelitta, Michelin LT M&S, Mastercraft MSR, Cooper Discover M&S, BF Goodrich Commercial Traction
  3. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

Why in the world would let 2 ft of snow hit the ground before plowing it
  4. Bagger

Bagger Member
    from CT

Thanx for the question. But, not sure you are being helpful here.

We got 18 inches over night. I didn't get up at 3 AM to plow my yard since they were predicting 10 inches total for the storm. The 40 mph winds didn't help either. This storm was dumping 3-4 inches per hour when I got up at 7 AM. Took quit a bit of time just to reach the truck. Largest snow storm ever here in CT land.

Yeah, I would have liked to have plowed every half hour from midnight to noon, but that didn't happen, bro. I have drifts over 4 feet high and a quarter mile long driveway thru the woods. Snow blower belt broke as well. Spent more time shoveling and digging my truck out than I have in 10 years.

Just how it goes.

Now ... regarding tires, I'd like to stick with 20" sneakers. I think 17s or 18s would be better (plus skinny tires work well in deep snow, but we don't have this that often here), but these would require new wheels. Blizzak (sp?) has some 20s that are like $800 from Tire Rack. Bit on the pricey side, but if I buy smaller sizes, I'd have to get the wheels and the sensors would be off.
  5. CarCrazed4Life

CarCrazed4Life Senior Member

I personally liked the General Grabber AT2. Most sizes are rated for severe weather, and are studdable with #13 metal studs. So you get a decent tire to drive around with when there is no snow, and you have the capabilities of an extreme winter snow tire.

They make it in a 33x12.50x20 which would be the appropriate size for a Ram1500 with 20s.

And yes, you can remove the studs at the end of the season (http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=124&currentpage=151&) and its a little cheaper then removing tires of your existing rims, or buying another set of wheels and tires and sotring them...