1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow tires

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by readysnowplow, Dec 12, 2010.

1. readysnowplow

readysnowplow Senior Member

Looking for some new tires for my F250 and Dodge 2500. Anybody got a suggestion for a great brand of tire that will be good for plowing snow?
  2. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn Senior Member

Im going to tell you know, most are going to tell you to do a search, but from what i Have seen, the cooper discoverer, bfg alt. ko, michelin ltx 2 and the goodyear silent armors
  3. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Those are not snow tires. Those are all terrain tires. A snow tire or winter tire, as is now more politically correct, is a tire specifically formulated for snow/ice as it's chief purpose. An all-terrain obviously panders to...all terrain. While they will work, a dedicated snow tire such as a Bridgestone Blizzak, Firestone Winterforce, or General Altimax Artic, will be far superior to said AT tire.

That said, I have run both the Firestones and the Generals and have nothing but good things to say about them.
  4. The Lone Plower

The Lone Plower Member

I've run BFG ATs for years, but went with the Cooper Discover M+S on my F250 for this winter, and they have preformed extremely well. I think they are much better than the BFGs in the snow.

Mastercraft Courser tires are the same as the Coopers.

I haven't used the Michelin or G.Y. snow tires to be able to comment on them.

No matter what you choose, make sure you get the correct load range and keep them properly inflated. Happy plowing!

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Michelin LTX for an All Season that's great in the snow. MasterCraft MSR for dedicated snows.
  6. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn Senior Member

I thought he was using the word snow loosely, sorry bout that man
  7. RRobbe

RRobbe Member

Blizzaks are awsome.
  8. PlowboyVT

PlowboyVT Member
    from VT

I just put some Dean Wintercat SST's on my 350 dump 245/75R17 load E. They were $143 a piece So far they are working out great. I think they are made By Cooper also.
  9. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Don't worry about it. When people say snow tire to me, that's what I think. Sorry if the post sounded condescending or rude.
  10. bigc1301

bigc1301 Senior Member

I Like the BFG AT. I only used four wheel in the 2 blizzards we had. All other storms i stay in 2 wheel.
  11. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

For a dedicated snow tire that you will remove come spring time and only run in the winter......Blizzaks are nice. I run them on my Jeep Grand Cherokee.

For a year round tire that does well in the snow.....Goodyear DuraTracs are what I have been running on my truck since last fall and I am very pleased with them. Probably the best tire I have ran in the snow on my F-350 so far.
  12. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Make sure you get right tires. Made for truck loads and not commuter truck duty. I have been shopping for tires. They are real quick to sell you the girlie ones. Till I tell them it will soon have a plow on it and it hauls "LOADS"and trailers. Call ahead before you go. Know the size and load range. I found none have 4 of the same size to put on RIGHT NOW. Since snow has visited there has been a rush on tires. The also have gone up 25% !
  13. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

I prefer Cooper Discovery M/S that are E-rated for the weight of the blade and sander. Not a good tire for summer due to soft compound and short tire life but awesome traction.
  14. Thanks fellers....I've been looking for these answers