1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Tires vs Tire Chains

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by northernnewbie, Nov 18, 2006.

1. northernnewbie

northernnewbie Member

I'm currently using Remington Wide Brute RV's on 16" rims, Chevy 2500HD 4x4. Do I need snow tires or will some bad ass tire chains and enough ballast do the job?

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I tried using chains a couple years ago. Worked real good until I went on the first job which had a steep hill. Lost traction and wrapped the broken links around a brake line and ... well you know the rest. When I got it out of the shop, it had snow tires to go with the new brake line.

3. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Cooper Discoverer M+S snow tires and some ballast are all you need unless your in the Rockies:D

4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

what is the difference between the M+S tires and the ATR's? I need new tires and want to do that early this week but dont know what to get. I know i want the cooper discovers but i dont know weather the ATR's or the M+S are better. What is the difference?

thanks

5. Mick

from Maine

ATR stands for All Terrain Radial. These tires are constructed for year-round use is all types of situations. Good, but, like anything else, not as good in situations (like plowing) as something made specifically for that situation - like the:

M&S (Mud and Snow) tire, which is softer than the ATR. It is made to give a better "grip" on surfaces such as ice and snow by being flexible, therefore "shedding" snow that gets between the treads and sipes. BUT - because it is softer, it will wear faster on dry pavement. If you run M&S tires, you will also want a set of Summer tires and swap in Spring as soon as most of the snow is gone.

I'm waiting for the first good snow before I put my studded Cooper M&S's on. I generally take them off in late March.

6. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Mick is right, but since I don't live in Vermont anymore, studding is not necessary-it would just chew up the asphalt drives.

My first truck was a 2wd Ford Ranger regular cab long bed, I had extra leaf springs put in, a heavy duty clutch and 410 rear-end. It was only a standard 4 banger but boy did I work that truck like a 1 ton:nod: Anyways, I had to put studded snows on it but what a difference.

7. mcwlandscaping

thanks guys, so since i plan on getting a set of the 2500HD chrome billet wheels in the spring, ill get the M+S mounted to my current wheels then come spring, have the ATRs put on the new wheels and just switch out wheels....SWEET!

8. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

Buy the m+s tires. they rock in snow, and ice. However, I wont run them. I bought a new set last year, and had bad luck with the lugs snappng off. Defective, but man did they bite!!!

9. mcwlandscaping

forgot to ask, anyone have a ballpark on what a set of cooper discoverer M+S would be?? installed, balanced...the whole lot!

10. Mick

from Maine

I just asked about a set last week - LT245/75/16. $113 a tire. Balanced & installed.

11. northernnewbie

northernnewbie Member

thanks for the advice guys! :nod: information like this is priceless.