1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Tires or not??

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jordydme, Sep 17, 2005.

1. jordydme

jordydme Junior Member
    from NY

Snow Tires or not?? :dizzy:

Hi guys, I think this is my first post but I have been reading for a couple of months.

I have a Ford F350 w/ a HD 8' Fisher plow. I am currently running the relatively narrow stock tires. They are new all season tires. I only have a few residential and one commercial account. No difficult driveways or lots yet. Some gravel and paved driveways and lots. I do have tire chains for two wheels.

Questions:

Should I get snow tires?

Should I get tire chains for all wheels and not just two?

Should I plan on weighting the pickup bed and with what/ how much?

Any and all advice would be extrememly helpful.

2. NEPSJay

NEPSJay Senior Member

I just run stock tires on my 2500hd, i never had a problem. i would suggest a few hundred pounds of ballast in the back. I never needed chains on my 4x4. Ive used them quite a bit on big trucks though.

3. lumps

lumps Senior Member

yeah, what he said. :rolleyes: but yeah, even in 3'+ snowstorms (including the 5' storm a couple years ago) i've never needed chains. once you go in 4wd, your engine becomes traction weight. if that's not enough, raise the blade a couple inches, and you've got the weight of that 8' HD on your front tires too! ballast is definitely good to have, both for traction and to ease the stress on your truck. and i've never run snow tires on a plow truck, but i do run moderately aggressive all terrains instead of regular all season tires. hope this helps!

4. jordydme

jordydme Junior Member
    from NY

Thank you for that.

5. jordydme

jordydme Junior Member
    from NY

Thank you for that.