1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow tires for daily driver?

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by samger2, Nov 25, 2008.

1. samger2

samger2 Junior Member

I have a 1997 TJ Sport lifted 4 inches with 33x12.50x15 BFGoodrich Mud Terrains.

This is the first year my TJ will be my daily driver and I'm a bit concerned about the mud tires in daily driving snow conditions.

I'm considering downsizing just for the winter to 31x10.50x15 or 265/75R15 and using a dedicated snow and ice tire.

The best price I've found thus far is $90 per tire for a Wintercat Radial SST...blem tires meaning they'll require extra weight to balance out.

I've also priced some yokohama's and some Dunlops as well.

1) Who has experience driving mud terrain tires as a daily driver in the snow...will I need dedicated snow tires?

2) What snow tires would you recommend that won't break the bank

3) I don't want to do an A/T tire...if I do this it will be specifically for the snowy season and I will want dedicated snow and ice tires.

Thanks in advance,

2. '76cj5

'76cj5 Member

In Ohio? Well I drive all year with 33's X12.5 on my CJ and work OK for plowing but my other jeeps all have or are getting Blizzacs winter tires. Even my new JK.is getting a set.

I don't think you have much trouble with what you have on right now it they are not worn down.
  3. samger2

samger2 Junior Member

They are not worn down at all. My biggest concern is that there is absolutely NO siping in a mud tire...it's just big lugs that's it.

And for the record, I'm not using this as a plow truck, it's a daily driver, so I'm not so much concerned with getting or pushing through large amounts of snow as much as I'm concerned with driving in traffic on snow covered streets and highways. How will mud terrains do in normal snowy conditions?
  4. 18lmslcsr

18lmslcsr Senior Member
    from WI.

Try a looksee at the Firestone WinterForce tire....I dont own it so i have'nt an practical hands on, but 4 the price it is real reasonable.

5. 18lmslcsr

18lmslcsr Senior Member
    from WI.

Oh and it's a winter tire!

6. samger2

samger2 Junior Member

The Winterforce was actually one of my first choices to research, however they don't seem to make it in either size I'm interested in...the largest tire I can find a Bridgestone or Firestone winter tire is a 225/75R15.
  7. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

1) Mud terrain tires in the snow arent going to get you anywhere, especially if you're plowing.

2) I hear good things about the Blizzaks, Hankook makes a good one as well. I have a set of Mastercraft Glacier Gripps on mine, and no complaints thus far

3) The BFG All-Terrains are outstanding in the snow, they have a snow-rating on them and they will last hell of a lot longer than regular snow tires. If i didn't get such a good deal on my snow tires I was going to get the BFGs. They are quite a bit more expensive, but they will last A LOT longer
  8. samger2

samger2 Junior Member

What size Glacier Gripps do you have?
  9. JeepTJ

JeepTJ Senior Member

I just came back from my local tire dealer, getting 4 new studded Wintercat SSTs installed. They had 2 different versions of the Firestone Winterforce tires on display. One was studless and the other was studable. I think the studable type can be found in a slightly larger size (235/75/15). The tread pattern looked much more aggressive on the studable tire than the studless one. If I were in the market for a real decent, low-priced winter only tire, I would get the studable Winterforce tires without studs installed. The 235/75/15s may look wimpy with your 4 inch lift though.

Because I use my XJ for snowplowing, I opted for the Wintercat SSTs with studs. The tread pattern is very similar to the Cooper Discoverer M+S. (Dean Wintercats are made by Cooper). Since it snow today, I gave them a good workout...excellent traction!!!!. BTW, my 225/75/16 non-blem Wintercats were $90. Out the door with studs installed, spin-balanced, remounted, old tire fee and taxed they were $510 for the four tires.

10. samger2

samger2 Junior Member

I just got a smokin' deal on the 265/75R15 Wintercats...they were blems, however, never installed.

The seller dropped the price to $360 with free shipping, then I got 25% off that price by using msn live within ebay...so that'll bring the total price down to $270 for four brand new (blem) tires. I couldn't pass it up.
  11. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

If you plowed my driveway with studed tires I'd be all over your A** for marking up me driveway.
  12. festerw

festerw Senior Member

I've been running the Mastercraft Courser MSR's and they do great, I believe they are also available in 31's.
  13. JeepTJ

JeepTJ Senior Member

I only plow 3 driveways. Two are gravel and the studs won't hurt them :jester:. The other driveway is mine, which is paved. The driveway is 350 feet long and 12 feet wide. There are only 2 push-off points along the length (mid-way and bottom). Between the mid-way point and bottom, it has a 19% grade along with a 30 foot radius turn :eek:. Ohh yah, did I say it is shaded all day in this area. We often get rain/sleet/snow events here. If it wasn't for the studded tires I wouldn't be able to clear the driveway. I would have to use large amounts of sand and/or salt to keep it clean. As it is, I probably use a ton of sand/salt mix from the town's free supply to keep up with it. I don't mind a few scratches on the pavement in lieu of keeping my wife happy so she can get up & down the driveway!!! If the wife ain't happy I ain't happy!! :D

14. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Who is running studded tires I thought they were outlawed.....
  15. BOMBER

BOMBER Member

BOMBER 003.jpg
  16. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

235/75/15 I have a 2" lift also
  17. tjthorson

tjthorson Senior Member
    from IL

I disagree. Those Kumho KL71s i had on my old jeep worked pretty darn good. As a matter of fact, because i had to do a lot of "turnarounds" out on the street, I would plow in 2wd, with no ballast and only have to hit the 4wd when piling snow. The new jeep has BFG ATKOs on it - so I will see if I notice a big difference....

18. samger2

samger2 Junior Member

I ended up getting a great deal on a set of 265/75R15 Wintercat Radial SST tires. I've had them in some light snow thus far and they do great.

19. cocco78

cocco78 Senior Member

Well I've always run mud tires on my Jeep and never really had any issues, any decent tire place should be able to sipe you muds pretty cheap. That would have made them almost as good as the tires you just got, for less money, less time changing around tires twice a year, and 1 less set of tires to keep around. I've done this before to a set of goodyear mt/r's and it was a night and day difference.
  20. unit28

unit28 PlowSite Fanatic

trxus mt looks good.
    I have experience with Nitto Terra Grappler on ice/snow and can say on an F150 they're a great winter tire.
    But my next set will be Nokian R Suv on the YJ

Good luck samger2, Looks good.