1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Tires and sizing!!!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by BOSShog, Oct 22, 2008.

1. BOSShog

BOSShog Junior Member

Hello All,
    I am looking to put winter tires with steel rims on truck this year. (change out seasonaly)
    Last year i ran with 285 75 R16 and what a nightmare. wheel was too wide for snow.

so i am looking for a good strickly snow tire to put on aftermarket steel rims.

Could some one please explain the tire sizing is the first number for tire width or hight'?
    and so on? and me being in ontario does anyone know a good tire (winter) that canadian tire carries? I have been told the roughrider are good. anythoughts?

O ya truck is 2002 F250 Superduty XLT 7.3 diesel
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  2. TEX

TEX Senior Member

for LT sizes( the ones that look like 285/70-16) the first number is going to be the size of the tire. like a 235/75/16 vs a 305/70/16 the 235 is going to be much smaller and skinnier too. the second number is a ratio of the first and gives you your side wall height. like cars with 22 inch rims have tire size 245/35-22 for example.(has a very short side wall height.)

the other type of sizing is like: 31/10.50-16 or 35/12.5-16 the 1st # is the height of the tire ( not all brands measure that exact height) and the 2nd # is the width then the rim size.

ex: a 35/14.5-16 would be wider than a 35/12.5-16 but the same height.

being a 3/4 ton and diesel you are going to want at a minium load range D and if your loaded or tow much at all you need a load range E tire.

hope this helps

also for ex: my 2006 dodge 2500 came with 265/70-17 and i put on 285/70-17 they are a bit bigger/taller and hair wider.
  3. BOSShog

BOSShog Junior Member

Thanks very much. aload of info now i am armed to buy...lol i knew about the E rating i think its ten ply and E is what i am getting just didnt know how to ask for a tall slim tire
    .... now i do and many thanks!
  4. stevesmowing

stevesmowing Member

I ran 255 85R 16 BFG mud tires. They were great size wise. I would buy them again. I would see if there is something that size in more of a snow tire though. LOVE THE SIZE THO... 255 85....
  5. TEX

TEX Senior Member

you prob want something like a 245/80
  6. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

You want a 235 85 16. End of story. If you cant get good tires up in Canada, which I would highly doubt, order them from the states and have them shipped. You must be able to get good tires up there though.....
  7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

The, 285 75 R16" work just fine for me.
    The city i live in, Duluth Mn is built on a steep hill side on the shores of lake superior.
    we get a lot of ice & snow on our roads and they don't allow studs.

I have found them not to just slide around, if the tire has a lot of sipping and have eather the snow flake or in Canada the mapel leaf on them you'll be fine.

You have the proper amount of weight in the box and the proper Psi then they perform very well.
    sure I would not go any wider but on a heavy full size truck they perform very well,
    Of course they have to be a quality snow tire to begin with.

for a smaller truck get the narrow ones.. size does make a difference.
  8. BOSShog

BOSShog Junior Member

Thanks guys been a real great help... i just placed order for BFGoodich all-terain A/T ko LT235/85R16 $195 each? to much?
    with winter rims rim s 137 bones a pop... almost went with the BFGoodrich Comercial LT235/85R16..
    Any thoughts on these? dude at shop seems to think a great tire but i told him i need a good snow not a good show tire.....
    hope i made the right choice..lol
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  9. TEX

TEX Senior Member

sound about right maybe a bit high. that is a popular size for dually trucks