1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Tire recomendation

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by aeronutt, Nov 13, 2008.

1. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

For anyone who owns a Chevy 2500 or 3500 truck equiped with the Bridgestone Duravis M773II tires, do yourself a favor and find some jagged concrete with rebar sticking out of it and drive over it a few times! This will completely remove the temptation to try driving on wintery roads with those horrid, dangerous tires and give you the opportunity to get some good tires installed.

These are the tires that Chevy marketed as the "on/off road" upgrade tire. I can attest from personal experience that these tires on not suitable for off road use in any way whatsoever. They are also not suitable for on road use when the weather gets bad. Aside from the tread blocks crumbling off, they are not a bad fair weather tire from a handling & stability perspective. I found that I actually had less slip-n-slide problems in my Geo Prism with Goodyear Invictas than my 06 D-max 4x4 truck.

So, since the factory earns a big fat "F" for tire choice, what else should we do? Well, I bought a set of Blizzak W965 tires for my F-350 last winter and was so impressed with them that I bought another set for my Chevy 2500 for this year. They are absolutely amazing in the snow and ice. I can hardly believe they are made by the same company that made the crappy Duravis tires that came stock. They stick like glue so good that I plowed in 2WD for several hours before I even realized that I forgot to engage 4x4. The only downside: plan on swapping out to some good all-season tires once winter is over because they are not good summer tires at all.

I ordered mine from Tire Rack and had them on my porch 2 days later for about $100 less than the local tire stores. Not meaning to be a sales pitch, just sharing my good experience... Hope this is helpful for someone.

2. rockwood330

rockwood330 Junior Member
    from ohio

what about BFG AT/KO for the winter monts then no swaping out when it gets nice out ?

3. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

I run BFG AT/KO 265/75 R16's on my 02 2500. Great in the snow,I plow in 2wd a lot of the time (if the conditions allow) and theyrevery quiet in the summer. I got about 44k out of my first set

4. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I had those on my truck when I got it. They blow. I just put on 265/75/16 Cooper Discoverer S/T load range E on my 04 chevy 2500HD. Look good and have a ton of grip and heard a lot of great things about them. The BFG are good also. Good luck this year.

5. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Make sure when you are running over the concrete you get the rebar to go through the sidewall! I agree 100%. Ran them on the 06' for the summer I got it replaces them by the third snowfall. Had them off the 07' by 400mi. Have 285/75/16s Bridgestone Duellers on them now.

6. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

Hmm... I run the M773II tire on my truck, and I've had no problems. I ran them last winter and was also in 4x2 95% of the time.

It's not quite fair to compare an off-road tire with a snow tire, because they're made for two completely different purposes. In fact, an M/T tire is one of the worst tires you can run, because of the small contact patch.

I lot of improvement can be gotten just by running the proper tire pressures and using enough ballast.

Don't bash a vehicle manufacturer for what kind of tires they use - it's not their specialty. Plus, while most people like the aggressive look of "on/off" road tires, they never use them "off" road. If GM let you pick from a highway tire and a real M/T tire, they'd be stacked with lawsuits from people getting in wrecks in the winter and rain.

7. TLB

TLB Senior Member

last year 6 of our '08 2500's at the dealership had the Duravis M773II's an I didn't see any problem with traction in heavy snow, and we don't add ballast in the box.

8. Onebadbowtie86

Onebadbowtie86 Senior Member

I Have had 3 sets of bfg a/t k/o's the last couple years on 3 different trucks. They are good tires, they look awesome and get good tractoin, and wear OK, but when new they threw alot of stones, they were kind of quiet but still made some noise and i only could get about 35-40 thousand miles out of them. When it came to buying tires for my truck this fall, i thought id try something different, and bought a set of michelin ltx m/s 's and im impressed! They were kind of expensive for a 265 tire ($850) but ive heard alot of good things about them and them lasting for a very very long time. My grandpa has a set with almost 100k miles on them. these tires ride so nice, and are sooooo quiet! we got a couple inches on the roads last weekand they seemed to do very good, so i guess ill see what happens on the first plow!