1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow tire question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by sagent, Nov 16, 2015.

1. sagent

sagent Junior Member

I am thinking about putting a set of actual snow tires on my 2011 2500hd this year and am wondering which snow tire to put on it. The tires on it right now are LT265/70/18 I believe load range e. They are 60 psi on the fronts and 70 psi on the rears. It appears you cannot get a snow tire in load range e. If I go with regular half ton tires, I dont believe you can inflate those to above pressures and therefore the TPMS light will come on. What route have you other 3/4 ton owners gone when adding snow tires ?

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

3. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

Cooper Discoverer M+S
    LT265/70R18 DISCOVR M+S Load Rand E

They were recommended 2 years ago on this site. (see link above)

MasterCraft Courser MSR

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Why in the world would you put half ton tires on a 3/4 truck?

I'm not 100% on Ford's tpms, however on the Chevy we had at work, there was no real "preset" numbers on it. I uped them all to 75 and did the reprogramming and it was ok.

5. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

why ask the same Q, over.
    looking for different results?

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Pete and repete were in a boat, Pete fell out who's left?

7. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Firestone Winterforce 285/76/16 E
    Real Snow Tires make a Huge Difference.

8. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

repeat, but slower this time.

I've been
    see below.

9. jmassi

jmassi Senior Member

Mastercraft Courser MSR or Cooper Discoverer M+S. You won't be disapppointed. Add some ballast and you'll be set.

10. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

I can't think of any popular LT snow tire that's not available in a load range E. Not one...

11. mule585

mule585 Member

I've found the Cooper ST Maxx to be best that I've used on my trucks. Awesome traction in all conditions. Great tread ware I get a new set in November every 2 yrs they could be used for a 3rd summer If needed. I just like having new for that 3rd winter. They have the mountain snowflake label and are 10 ply load E 3400lb at 80psi.

12. RIRAM2500HD

RIRAM2500HD Senior Member
    from 02914

Just put a set of Firestone WinterForce LT's 275x70x18's on my truck yesterday. They should work well for you too!

13. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

I have tried over 10 all terrain tires, and one snow tire for plowing. Even the absolute best all terrain does not even come close to the Firestone winterforce tire, the only snow tire I've tried.

So basically if you've never tried a snow tire you will love the winterforce. Awesome in any condition I had it in except glare ice ( I had no studs). Even in glare ice it wasn't all that bad.
    I honestly cannot compare it to any other snow tire though because I havent tried other winter LT tires.

14. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

I just ordered a set of winterforce LT with studs for my second plow truck for tgis winter. I want my employee to be safe.

15. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Either Pete or rePete did fall out of the PS boat. Take your pic, I'm here, the other isn't.

16. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I'm purity sure it was Pete who fell out, so that makes.
    you Repete.?

17. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Thumbs Up :drinkup:

18. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

I love my Winterforce tires, Ive had them for about 4-5 years now, and the only times Ive ever been stuck is when I high side it on snow piles trying to blast through with the plow halfway up.

Pushes through long 3-4' drifts with little to no slippage to speak of.