1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snow tire pressure and rear ballast

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by brimfield, Jan 11, 2011.

1. brimfield

brimfield Member

I have a 2002 duramax 2500 ext cab 8' bed and I just got a fisher 8' plow for it. I had the timbren suspension kit added. I am running Wild spirit snows, 265 75 16's. I have around 500lbs in the rear over the tires. had some trouble backing up a steep drive and I am wondering if I need more weight lower tire pressure, I run 80 psi or should I get studs? Chains are a no go as it is a long drive from work.
  2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Try another 300lbs at least and move the weight closer to the tailgate.
  3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

move the weight closer to the tailgate.

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

if you put sandbags right up against the tailgate it works pretty well
  5. cubplower

cubplower Senior Member

i believe that the lower your tire pressure is, the less traction in the snow because you get more floatation rather than your tires digging in and getting down to pavement.
  6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

more weight and dont try to push as much snow in a pass
  7. brimfield

brimfield Member

Well I did add another 150 lbs but I will try more and put it on the tail gate. Right now I am stuck in my own driveway:realmad:.And I am not sure how to get out but this can wait till morning. Might have to get chains to get out.Funny thing is I carefully pushed the town snow bank out of my way in small bites then I went down the hill not plowing to the pavement due to an 18" build up since I plowed out at 4 in the morning and moved a good 8+ inches. I had 4 low and pavement all the way up then! Now I might be stuck in the chassis height. Got out of one ditch from hell and left it at that because I cant go forward with the plow up. And no way anyone will come to help in my "DRIVEWAY FROM HELL". Hope to get out soon enough to get some maintenance property jobs. PS who makes the best tire chains and the easiest to go on!
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  8. ihwild

ihwild Junior Member

Where are you stuck at ? Your own driveway? Any pictures? If you can dig down to pavement then throw some sand under those tires. Why can't you go forward with the plow down? Have you tried to use the angle to push the truck back while in reverse? You might just have to dig it out. I buried my Scout up to the frame and possibly then some. I couldn't back out up the hill but I was able to go forward turn around and drive up. You might even just have to dig out in line with the diffs that should be your lowest point.

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Tire pressure is way too high. Drop to 45 or so, and go to about 1,000 lbs weight in the bed.
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011