1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow tire choices

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by sagent, Nov 25, 2013.

1. sagent

sagent Junior Member

I have an extra set of wheels I intend to mount some snow tires up to for plowing in the winter months. I have a 2011 Sierra 2500HD. Any recommendations for snow tire ? The size I need is 265/70/18E

The Michelin atx/2 factory tires were ok the first season but the last 2 not so well.

Thanks in advance
  2. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

i have always used all terrains until this year, i just got a set of firestone winterforce lt's after reading lots of good reviews and the great price of them
  3. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Bridgestone Dueler Revo 2 are pretty good in the snow but expensive.
  4. Evil Diesel

Evil Diesel Senior Member
    from Sharon

Goodyear duratrac work really well. I personally just put on a set of toyo at2's. Never used then before but the got good reviews in the snow
  5. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

he is looking for a snow tire though, even all these all terrain tires that are great in the snow, are nothing compared to a true snow tire. trust me i used to be one of the guys that only ran all terrains and swore they were awesome. then i tried a snow tire.
  6. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Firestone Winterforce LT. Great traction, but they will wear very quickly.
  7. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

The General Grabber AT2s are a good snow tire. I haven't had a problem with them yet
  8. stone74

stone74 Member

General altimax artic on mine, little pricey here in Canada but worth it.

THORNTON Junior Member

I use MSR tires, they do a good job for me.
  10. DieselSlug

DieselSlug PlowSite.com Addict

If available in your size I recommend Cooper Discovers M & S. Awesome snow tire! I just bought a set a few weeks ago, they plowed great in yesterday a snow!
  11. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

My 2011 3500hd needs new tires. I have the Michelins liek the poster has but the tire dealers say there is only about two options in the E rated tires in the 265 70 r18 e size. Do i have to buy a E tire? I'm tire dumb.
  12. Bigcat99

Bigcat99 Senior Member

Unless you are one of those people driving 3500's just to say you can, you will want a 10 ply(E rated) tire for any hauling or heaving towing that your truck was built for.

Here are 4 options on tire rack:
    see link
  13. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

No I use my 3500hd 5 days a week pulling trailers and hauling. Those 18" rims don't leave you many choices for e rated tires though. Found a dealer that has new "take off" OEM Michelin tires for $800 a set. Another dealer wanted $1300 for a new set of the OEm Michelin tires.
  14. bersh

bersh Senior Member

Nevermind, just reread OP. One option is to sell your current set and buy a set of 17" or see if you can swap for a set as that will open up your tire choices a bit.
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  15. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

That is exactly what I did.

I have 18's in the summer and just bought 17s for winter tires. They make plenty of a/s and a/t tires in 18" load range E, but not too many winter tires, and for the price difference I got 17" snow tires and rims for just slightly more than just 18" tires. I like not having to make an appointment to have them changed over every time, I can just do it myself.

Can you use 275/70r18s? Thats what ford uses for 18" rims on their superduties, and seems to have more options than the size you listed.
  16. brown91redcam

brown91redcam Junior Member

The firestone winterforce have been a great snow tire for us,are you extra rims from a 2011 or newer truck? Chevrolet changed wheels the older rims will not fit on 11 and up
  17. Leland Lawn

Leland Lawn Member

I see a lot of people who go with the Cooper Discoverer M/S's and are super happy with them. It looks like an amazing snow tire for trucks, but they're kind of pricy.

We run sipped and studded mud tires for our plow trucks though. We have a set of tires (maxis bighorns) that are on their 3rd season now and still look nearly new. I also have some Bridgestone snow tires (from costco) that I really like and were cheap, but they don't come in a size that would fit the wheels for your truck.
  18. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

Great to know, thanks! I haven't used my winterforces yet and iI have a feeling they will get good traction, just worried about tread life. Which I guess isn't that big of a deal, the trucks are not my daily drivers. How do they compare to other snow tires you have used?

they are significantly cheaper than other snow tires. Like a couple hundred per set.

The only other snow tire i have used is a goodyear ultra grip wrt on my girlfriends escape, and it was night and day compared to an all terrian
  19. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

just curious, but why do you spend the money to sipe and stud mud tires instead of getting true snow tires?I know regular mud terrians are absolutely horrible in snow.. just curious what the benefit is. Seems like it would be more expensive and more of a hassle that way instead of buying a tire that is made for this purpose.
    even after you do that, the rubber compound is still much harder than a snow tire
  20. Leland Lawn

Leland Lawn Member

I never really thought about that actually! hahaha
    Im pretty new to the whole plowing with trucks thing. We used ATVs for years and thats primarily what I rode. We just got our first truck 3 years ago and had some ATs on that truck that weren't amazing, so thats when the mud terrains were purchased at the recommendation of the local Les Schwab. The next year we got the BFG snow tires for our new truck. This years new truck has some Mastercraft AT's on it that have been pretty good for plowing so far this year.

I'd say that the only advantage to the MT's over the snow tires is the harder rubber compound. They can handle a little more beating and spinning before breaking down and wearing out quickly. Plus MT's have really deep tread lugs that can handle snowy city roads the best. Personally my next plow truck tires will be designated studless snow terrains. Thats what I think you should go with.