1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow thrower wont throw

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by cmo18, Jan 20, 2009.

1. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

Hey, I have a small MTD snow thrower that 2 cylinder. It works for a second then gets clogged up even on the lightest stuff. Any ideas to why?

2. dirtmandan2

dirtmandan2 Senior Member

I have 2 mtd's and they are garbage... I havent even tried starting them yet this winter... Are the rubber paddles worn out on yours, made a big difference when I changed mine... My little toro though is a tough little blower.

3. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

Do you have any adjustments to the handle u pull on. If you can make that tighter it will pull on the belt harder. thats one option others our to see if you have any bad bearings or worn out augers or paddels. Worn out things take off power and cause issues

4. jgoetter1

jgoetter1 Senior Member

I'm with KGR, check your belt tension

5. unit28

unit28 PlowSite Fanatic

1st----Make sure to turn it off before you try to unclog it

leave it outside.
    If the machine throwing chute matches the outside temperature it will throw better.
    I think I read that on a Husqvarna website.
    I have had the same problem as you and I have a big 11HP Husky.
    --------------------

Just leave it outside when it starts to snow and start it up when it's done snowing.
    Also you could try cooking oil spray or FF in on and around the chute.

6. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

it seems like its not throwing the snow up, maybe a belt slipping?