1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow thrower recoil freezing up

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Dustball, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

What do you do to prevent freezing up of the recoil starter on snow blowers? I have a blower that tends to freeze up and won't retract and preventing me from starting it again. Tonight I had to leave my blower running the entire 7 hours while doing all my stops.
  2. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

Are you pulling the recoil a few times after you have turned off the blower and making sure it is cleared of ice and snow?
  3. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

I think it's freezing while I'm using it so it's already frozen up before I shut it off and when I go to start it the next time, it won't retract the rope. It was -9F last night when it froze up. It was -5F last week when it froze up on me also.
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Spray it with Fluid Film and your problems will bo over.
  5. keitha

keitha Senior Member

iced up

Spray windshield de icer may help thaw you out.
    Dry it out and hit it good with FF or your favorite silicone spray.
    They run in a tough spot all the cooling air w/snow and moisture is drawn in around there.
    A 110v heat gun off an inverter will thaw it out quickly too.
    Plus if it's sized right you could run the elec start off it (if equiped).

6. Bigcat99

Bigcat99 Senior Member

I like the idea of making sure to have an inverter along. Why pull when you can use the electric start off it. Smart cookie!
  7. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

Yeah, I'm going to have to do something about it. It happened again last week when temps were in the 20's when I started and dropped to single digits below zero towards the end of my route. I'll start off with spraying silicone in there and seeing how that works. All of the snow we've gotten this season has been powdery so that isn't helping the cause.